file Secret decklist

09 Mar 2012 14:59 - 09 Mar 2012 15:07 #25423 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Secret decklist

And as there is nothing that can attach to your library, having some counter on your library is quite explicitly something that does not have effect into your library.

It clearly has some effect, since some people want to do it. Either way, it's not allowed by the rules.

Quote?

Link?
Last edit: 09 Mar 2012 15:07 by Izaak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2012 15:15 #25424 by henrik
Replied by henrik on topic Re: Secret decklist

And as there is nothing that can attach to your library, having some counter on your library is quite explicitly something that does not have effect into your library.

It clearly has some effect, since some people want to do it. Either way, it's not allowed by the rules.

Quote?

Link?

What sort of quote are you looking for?
This is one:

Only counters indicated by card text and/or rules (blood, disease, corruption, vandal, etc.) are placed on cards.

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/33939ee91ad97bea

Unless the rules tells you to put something on top of your library, you're not supposed to put something on top of your library.

Here's an example of when you should:
Name: Henry Taylor
[BH:U2]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Brujah antitribu
Group: 3
Capacity: 6
Discipline: cel pre pro POT
Sabbat: After an action, you may move a combat card Henry played during that action from your ash heap to the top of your library.

Here's an example of when you shouldn't:
Name: Sabbat Threat
[Jyhad:V, VTES:V, CE:U, KMW:PAl]
Cardtype: Political Action
{Requires a} prince or justicar.
Choose one or more Methuselahs. Successful referendum means each chosen Methuselah gets a threat counter. Each Methuselah burns 1 pool for each threat counter he or she has during his or her untap phase. A Methuselah may never have more than two threat counters, and he or she may burn the Edge to burn all the threat counters he or she has.

More
09 Mar 2012 15:56 - 09 Mar 2012 15:56 #25428 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Secret decklist
The quote you provided tells me something about cards. Not about libraries. It also dates back to 2001, well before anything like Anarch Counters and the like existed. It's also not really relevant in this discussion as it specifically talks about counters and not about the egde.

The Sabbat Threat example you provided, didn't specify where the counters should go and therefore you can put them anywhere, as long as they're visible. In contrast, the Henry Taylor example specifies it goes on top of the library (and since it doesn't specify face up it defaults to face down), so is also irrelevant.

If your goal is just being anal about something fairly trivial that is somewhat ambigious in the rules, then please tell us so we can stop trying to point out your error in reasoning and move on.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2012 15:56 by Izaak.

More
09 Mar 2012 16:18 #25432 by henrik
Replied by henrik on topic Re: Secret decklist

The quote you provided tells me something about cards. Not about libraries. It also dates back to 2001, well before anything like Anarch Counters and the like existed. It's also not really relevant in this discussion as it specifically talks about counters and not about the egde.

Libraries are composed of cards, if that helps. The way I read it, the core of the post I linked to is that unless you're explicitly told to place something on something else (be it cards on cards, counters on cards or whatever), you're not supposed to place it on something but rather have it by itself in your play area.

The Sabbat Threat example you provided, didn't specify where the counters should go and therefore you can put them anywhere, as long as they're visible. In contrast, the Henry Taylor example specifies it goes on top of the library (and since it doesn't specify face up it defaults to face down), so is also irrelevant.

No, you can't put them anywhere. That's the point of the post I linked to. You can't put counters on cards, for example, unless the rules tell you do put said counters on cards. You're not allowed to put Threat counters on your uncontrolled vampire.

However, if we're gonna play the hard way. Can you point me to the rules about cards in library being face down by default?
Am I allowed to look at any side of the top card in my library? Can you point me to the rule prohibiting this?

If your goal is just being anal about something fairly trivial that is somewhat ambigious in the rules, then please tell us so we can stop trying to point out your error in reasoning and move on.

So... First you try to make a meaningful distinction between "counter" and "the edge" in the context above, and then you claim that I'm the one being anal about something fairly trivial. It feels rather ironic, to be honest.

More
09 Mar 2012 16:21 #25433 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Secret decklist

Have to remember, if I ever play with you to take an Una, Imbued or Guillaume deck and stack everything as it should be, according to the rules. I'm sorry in advance that all the games timed out, because I will need several minutes each turn to just re-sort my attached cards so that they are all in a single file and still shown properly (or in case of Guillaume that I conquer the whole table for myself) :)

Not sure why you feel the need to try get this to some kind of personal insult level. Those decks can all be played while following the rules though, without necessarily timing out.
Good bye and thanks for the earlier discussion.

Sorry if that got to you as insulting. I was trying to be sarcastic. (Humor does not always convey well over internet.)

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
10 Mar 2012 04:05 #25471 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Secret decklist

Have to remember, if I ever play with you to take an Una, Imbued or Guillaume deck and stack everything as it should be, according to the rules. I'm sorry in advance that all the games timed out, because I will need several minutes each turn to just re-sort my attached cards so that they are all in a single file and still shown properly (or in case of Guillaume that I conquer the whole table for myself) :)

Not sure why you feel the need to try get this to some kind of personal insult level. Those decks can all be played while following the rules though, without necessarily timing out.
Good bye and thanks for the earlier discussion.

Jussi, there is always one person who completely, totally ruins a forum with his incessant babble, his rules lawyering, and his mindless postings, until finally defeated, he says that it was really you who are insulting him and then he retreats from the battlefield like the coward that he truly is.

EVERYONE should STOP feeding the troll named Henrik.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds