file Rules Tweak Suggestion: Rewind TIme et al.

03 Aug 2012 17:19 - 03 Aug 2012 18:58 #34265 by finbury
Following the thread on "as played" / cancel cards, I had a thought: what if we removed the "you can play a wake for rewind time" rules from the rulebook, and just stuck them on the two or three cards that are affected? I feel like that would be much simpler overall.

So, before:

EDIT: due to a momentary brain glitch, this originally talked about the TEM ability of the card. Fixed.

Rewind Time - 1 blood - reaction
pre: (skipped)
tem: Cancel an action card as it is played (the acting minion is not tapped).
TEM: (skipped)

Suggested after:

Rewind Time - 1 blood - reaction
pre: (skipped)
tem: Cancel an action card as it is played (the acting minion is not tapped). If this card is in your hand, you may reveal it and play a reaction card that allows you to treat a vampire as untapped for play of this card, and then play this card (at tem).
TEM: (skipped)

I believe that wording is sufficient. Because of the general rule that you can't declare a course of action that cannot be successful, you couldn't use this wording to wake-and-watch in someone else's master phase.

What I like about this:
- rules in the rule book are simpler overall
- the "only if you have the rewind time in hand" stuff becomes a lot more intuitive, because playing the Wake is now something you can do specifically because of the text on the Rewind Time in your hand.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 18:58 by finbury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2012 18:22 #34268 by Ankha
Currently, you can't play Wake + Rewind Time at [TEM]. Maybe you meant the [tem] version.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
03 Aug 2012 18:25 #34269 by Amenophobis

Currently, you can't play Wake + Rewind Time at [TEM]. Maybe you meant the [tem] version.

Wait a moment - James is trying to tell us otherwise. :huh:

More
03 Aug 2012 18:26 #34270 by Ohlmann
I don't believe it make the rulebook simpler.

That's because the phrase in the rulebook actually make thing work in the same way every time.

To develop on the infamous magic analogy :

* in crd game like Magic, you have a stack. When someone want to play something, people can play something in response, and the general rule is that everything can be played in response

* in card game like L5R, you don't have a stack. When someone want to play something, nobody can do something in response except by specific card text (in this case, reaction which can react to this).

VtES follow the L5R scheme (actually, L5R chronologically come after, but it is the first who put in perfectly cleanly), and people believe that it follow the magic scheme. That's why they find the rule regarding wake counter-intuitive.

The section regarding wake is more a clarification, because it's actually a reaction with specific trigger. Reaction-like card are pretty rare in VtES and Wake are by far the most played of them.

Removing the section regarding wake and putting it on the card muddy even more the water in my opinion, because then there is only exception and not general rule that can be follow.

If rule change were to be done, then it may be better to go to the end of the logic and actually put a stack on the rulebook, hereby autorizing fishing for canceller, etc ... Like now, everything would work the same way, just with a different general principle, one which some people believe to be simpler while it is just different.

More
03 Aug 2012 18:27 #34271 by Ohlmann

Wait a moment - James is trying to tell us otherwise. :huh:

Isn't the INFERIOR version that can be played with a wake ?

More
03 Aug 2012 19:46 #34273 by Juggernaut1981
You can play a WWEF for both, as the rulings stand when I last read them ONLY if you hold the Cancel and the Wake at the same time.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds