file Rules Tweak Suggestion: Rewind TIme et al.

03 Aug 2012 20:12 #34274 by finbury
One: yeah, I had TEM instead of tem. Fixed now.

Two: I don't think the question of "is there a stack" versus "is there not a stack" is really relevant here. With this suggested tweak, there's actually no net change in the cards that are playable in the "as played" window. I'm just suggesting that the text, which only affects the game if some pretty obscure cards is played, would be better placed on those cards than in the rulebook.

As I understand the history, one of the big innovations that came out of the whole CCG invention was the concept of "cards that break the rules". That is, rather than having all the rules that pertain to the play of your game in one place, like one of those old Avalon Hill tomes, you have a simple subset of them in a rulebook, and write the rest on the cards themselves. I feel like the current approach for these cards loses sight of that basic lesson. If it only affects the play of a few cards out of hundreds, and those cards aren't even commonly played, does it really belong in the rulebook?

... that said, this actually does affect more cards than I had initially considered. The ones I could find were:

Bliss at dom pre, when played as a reaction
Denial of Aphrodite's Favor
Determine
Evil Eye at MAL
Hall of Hades' Court at tem
Iron Heart
Power of All
Rewind Time at tem
Scry the Hearthstone at VIC
Shape Mastery at PRO
Supernatural Resistance when canceling an action card
Terra Incognita when canceling bounce

... none of which are cards I'd consider "good" or "commonly played", but it's many more than the 2-3 I was originally thinking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2012 22:05 #34277 by Pascal Bertrand
No offense meant, but, are these rules questions?

More
03 Aug 2012 23:34 #34281 by Reyda
I'm glad we are discussing this :)
As we are suggesting things, would it be more logical to put/use the reflex icon on rewind time, should the card be ever printed again ?

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
04 Aug 2012 04:43 - 04 Aug 2012 04:45 #34285 by Ohlmann

Two: I don't think the question of "is there a stack" versus "is there not a stack" is really relevant here.

I believe it is relevant because the rule you are talking of is more of a clarification when you understand that there is no stack. Putting it on the card feel like it is an exception when it is in fact the general rule, leading to people wondering why there is an 'exception' in the first place.

When someone wonder why you can't barren to ish for a canceling card, the response is 'for the same reason you can't use barren during the resolution of Eternal of Sirius' or 'for the same reason you don't die if you play Eternal of Sirius at 4 pool'.

People don't understand this right away because in VtES there is importants card type that have a significant delay between the moment they are announced and the moment they are resolved (namely, action and strike). So they assume that since they can play Action modifier before an action resolve, they can play without specific text action modifier, reaction or whatever before something is resolved but after it is announced. That's why people like nc-italy or Izaak feel that they should actually be able to play thoses cards without specific text allowing for that.

Edit : Reyda is right on that all thoses card, cancelling master including, should be reflex. Reflex was a good idea, but not finished, escpeially since it is a complete type which prevent for now easy addition to master card for example.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2012 04:45 by Ohlmann.

More
04 Aug 2012 07:15 #34292 by Pascal Bertrand

I'm glad we are discussing this :)
As we are suggesting things, would it be more logical to put/use the reflex icon on rewind time, should the card be ever printed again ?

That would imply changing the definition of "reflex" card.

7. Reflex cards: A minion can play a reflex card to cancel a specified kind of card played against him as it is played.

More
04 Aug 2012 07:29 #34293 by Reyda
Of course floppy you'right, reflex is intended for "self defense". But at the same time it's the only icon who was especially designed for the effect " play to cancel the play of something as it is played/declared "
And so far no player had difficulties to understand it.
Maybe we should dig a little deeper here ? That's just an idea :)

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds