file Arcane Appraiser vs. Palatial Estate

31 Aug 2012 17:36 #35696 by islandofyiaros
I understand a Palatial Estate not in play to be equipment (so you can Magic of the Smith for it), while a Palatial Estate in play is not (so you cannot Anarch Troublemaker it.)

Arcane Appraiser says:
"If a second copy of a unique equipment card you control would enter play, it is burned instead."

Is a Palatial Estate which is entering play considered an equipment card? And is it an "equipment card", but not "equipment"? Not sure if Arcane Appraiser protects me or not...

Thanks in advance,
-- Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2012 17:41 #35697 by tarantulus
the text says "does not count as equipment while in play"

So I would think it counts as equipment until it is played, at which point it becomes a unique location, so I think arcane appraiser is not usable in this case.

More
01 Sep 2012 06:53 - 01 Sep 2012 06:57 #35708 by Ankha
Name: Palatial Estate
[DS:C2, FN:PR, Third:PM]
Cardtype: Equipment
Cost: 2 blood
This equipment card represents a location and does not count as equipment while in play. Unique.
During your master phase, the vampire with this location gains 1 blood.

Palatial Estate is an unique equipment. It would become something else once in play, but this is after it enters play or become contested.

Arcane Appraiser says:
"If a second copy of a unique equipment card you control would enter play, it is burned instead."

Is a Palatial Estate which is entering play considered an equipment card? And is it an "equipment card", but not "equipment"? Not sure if Arcane Appraiser protects me or not...

Yes, it is an unique equipment card that would enter play (and that would become a location if it wasn't contested)
The Arcane Appraiser works.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 06:57 by Ankha.

More
01 Sep 2012 07:57 #35714 by Kiddo

Yes, it is an unique equipment card that would enter play (and that would become a location if it wasn't contested)

Are you sure? By the time the second unique equipment is trying to enter play (and thus contest), the first one isn't an equipment any more...

More
01 Sep 2012 10:40 - 01 Sep 2012 10:41 #35725 by Ankha

Are you sure? By the time the second unique equipment is trying to enter play (and thus contest), the first one isn't an equipment any more...

Well, that is an interesting question. The first quote is valid for sure. See also groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/XpZ6F53jK-c/2qcHRJ1UCCMJ

The second quote about the Arcane Appraiser is tricky.

I would have said that there is currently an [unique(1)][equipment card(2)] called [Palatial Estaste(1)] in play that counts for a [location(1)].

(1): by card text
(2): because of the symbol on the card. As the rulebook states: "Equipment cards are action cards that give minions special abilities."

The trick is that though it is an "equipment card", it is not an "equipment" while in play. Think about the difference between a bleed action and a bleed for instance.

So yes, there is already a second copy of an unique "equipment card" in play (even though the card is no longer seen as an equipment but a location).

I'm a bit bugged by some current cardtexts such as:

Name: Conceal
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Obfuscate
[obf] (D) Burn an equipment card.
[OBF] (D) Burn a location.

Why on earth does it say "Burn an equipment card." instead of "Burn an equipment." ?
It does say "Burn a location" and not "Burn a location card" for instance.

Same thing for Alexis Sorokin, Arcane Appraiser (it's first special ability), Arcanum Investigator, Heidelberg Castle, Germany, Kiss of Lachesis, Molotov Cocktail, Principia Discordia, Reformation, Tara, The Hollow One (Mage), Tutu the Doubly Evil One (Bane Mummy), Vial of Garou Blood, Zip Gun

It is correct to refer to equipment cards when search the library (or ash heap, or hand....) for instance.

Name: Alastor
Cardtype: Political Action
Requires a justicar or Inner Circle member.
Choose a ready Camarilla vampire. If this referendum is successful, search your library for an equipment card and place this card and the equipment on the chosen vampire. Pay half the cost (round down) of the equipment. This vampire may enter combat with any vampire controlled by another Methuselah as a +1 stealth (D) action. This vampire cannot commit diablerie. A vampire may have only one Alastor.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 10:41 by Ankha.

More
12 Sep 2012 05:43 - 12 Sep 2012 06:06 #36539 by Pascal Bertrand

I understand a Palatial Estate not in play to be equipment (so you can Magic of the Smith for it), while a Palatial Estate in play is not (so you cannot Anarch Troublemaker it.)

Arcane Appraiser says:

Is a Palatial Estate which is entering play considered an equipment card?

Yes, but that doesn't matter. Arcane Appraiser checks if the card you control (the one already in play) is an equipment [card]. That's not the case of an in-play Palatial Estate, which is a (unique) location.
{this is under review}

And is it an "equipment card", but not "equipment"? Not sure if Arcane Appraiser protects me or not...

Thanks in advance,
-- Brian

I'll check that latter point, but it's possible that "equipment card" stands for "equipment". This has been added to the list of things to review for the next RTR.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2012 06:06 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds