file Guide and Mentor - Perfectionist

19 Jun 2013 07:41 - 19 Jun 2013 07:43 #50026 by Ankha

We all know that the correct sequence is:
1/ play Eternal of Sirius and pay the cost
2/ apply the effect: gain 5 pool
3/ check your pool total: 5. You're not ousted.

Yes, we know this, but allow us the right to think this is very silly.

Sure. So one half of the players will find the other very silly, and the other half will find the others very silly.
Anyway, both are equally silly so we'd better stick to the current rules rather than creating a sterile debate for the sake of it.
Valid arguments for change (rather than "I find it silly") are of course welcome I guess, but I haven't seen one.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 07:43 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2013 08:48 #50029 by Juggernaut1981

It's not a resolution-only check. The Eternals of Sirius ruling established that the cost and effect are simultaneous. So you are on 4 pool. When your pool changes, it goes to 5 pool. There isn't a point when you go to zero pool and then back up to five, nor do you go up to nine pool then down to five.

Exactly, the Eternals of Sirius ruling has said that "immediate" is a synonym for "concurrent". My point entirely.

Still no. Please stop making crap up.

James,

con·cur·rent
/kənˈkərənt/
Adjective

1. Existing, happening, or done at the same time.
2. (of two or more prison sentences) To be served at the same time.

im·me·di·ate
/iˈmēdē-it/
Adjective

1. Occurring or done at once; instant.
2. Relating to or existing at the present time: "his immediate priority".

si·mul·ta·ne·ous
/ˌsīməlˈtānēəs/
Adjective
Occurring, operating, or done at the same time.

I have made up nothing. I am talking about the definition of the word as used in the CRR and how we should change it. If the effects are to be 'concurrent' or 'simultaneous' (which ARE synonyms)... then we should use one of those words. If we want the cost and its effect to be distinct BUT to occur closely together (even so closely as to allow no other card-play/effect to intervene) then we should stick with "immediate".

The rulings made in the past, particularly the one on the Eternals of Sirius, has clearly stated that in the CRR "immediately" should be replaced with either "concurrently" or "simultaneously".

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
19 Jun 2013 12:40 - 19 Jun 2013 12:48 #50041 by jamesatzephyr

If we want the cost and its effect to be distinct BUT to occur closely together (even so closely as to allow no other card-play/effect to intervene) then we should stick with "immediate".

Immediately simply refers to when it happens. As opposed to being delayed, like for actions and strikes (which are described above it), which have a different formulation.

Please, please stop rewriting the rules every day.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 12:48 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds