file Time for negotiation after playing a card before terms are set

04 May 2014 08:09 - 04 May 2014 08:12 #61810 by M.Schumacher
Just wondering about this.

A player plays Pentex subversion. Is there a window for a discussion/deal making
between playing the card and announcing the target.

A slighty different question is, is there room between playing a card and
playing sudden reversal for discussion/deal making. (that is in the "as it is played window")

I know that announcing a cards effect has to be done immediatly after playing a card, even before redrawing (the villein/giants blood example) so im not sure if
table talk has room between playing a card and announcing its effects.
Last edit: 04 May 2014 08:12 by M.Schumacher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 17:09 #61835 by ReverendRevolver
Pentex hits the table with a target, so you announce one as its leaving your hand, just like vessel, etc.

Between untapping and playing ot is a fine time to ask "what do i get for NOT pentexing you?" And other such things.

More
04 May 2014 17:31 #61837 by M.Schumacher
The consequence of this in a tournament would be, that as soon as pentex gets played, all table talk should be prohibited until the effeects of the card are declared fully.
I have seen different many times ,though. A player will play pentex, then the whole thing about "if give u this or that if u dont pentex me" starts and then the target is declared. Acording to you that would be illegal.

More
04 May 2014 18:51 #61839 by Ankha

Just wondering about this.

A player plays Pentex subversion. Is there a window for a discussion/deal making
between playing the card and announcing the target.

Game-wise, no. It would be the same as revealing a card from your hand (which is illegal) and using this advantage ("I'm not bluffing, look") to make some deal.

Now, you could play the card and take enough time before announcing the target to let other players begin to talk about the target, and you answering them, pretending you were about to announce the target. Some player could then call the judge to sort out the situation.

A slighty different question is, is there room between playing a card and
playing sudden reversal for discussion/deal making. (that is in the "as it is played window")

Sure there is.

I know that announcing a cards effect has to be done immediatly after playing a card, even before redrawing (the villein/giants blood example) so im not sure if table talk has room between playing a card and announcing its effects.

It's more strict than that, you have to announce the terms when playing the card, not after playing the card. Of course, in practice, it's not perfectly simultaneous, but it means that the whole "play the card/announce the terms" thing must be done in one batch with no interruption.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
04 May 2014 20:02 - 04 May 2014 20:12 #61842 by Jeff Kuta

A card is played by placing it face up in the playing area or by showing it to the other players and placing it face up in the ash heap. The player completely declares the effect of the card when it is played.

This applies to master cards as well as minion cards.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
Last edit: 04 May 2014 20:12 by Jeff Kuta.

More
05 May 2014 06:51 #61846 by johannes

Game-wise, no. It would be the same as revealing a card from your hand (which is illegal) and using this advantage ("I'm not bluffing, look") to make some deal.

You are not revealing the card from your hand, you are actually playing it, so no way to take it back. Quite a difference.

In my opinion forbidding talk/deals between putting the card down and announcing the target will simply slow down the game. In the current common practice where talk is usually done probably someone will offer a deal, but if no one wants to no time is wasted. Consider a change where all playing cards and announcing targets is atomic then people will gradually change to asking questions before they play anything, heck I might even start to talk to anyone who even touches a card in their hand during their Master Phase. "Hey I see you want to play a Master Card, if that is a P.S and you target this guy I offer you this, but if it is a Vampire Disease then ...". Perfectly legal but absolutely nonsensical and time-wasting.

Talking playing/announcement of cards we should work on players actually correctly announcing what they are playing as a first step ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Goudie, Migalart

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds