file PRO Loki's Gift is always (D)?

16 Feb 2015 20:21 - 16 Feb 2015 20:22 #69275 by Miasmat
Is superior Loki's Gift directed, if I choose one of my own vampires as the target to lose blood?

Particularly, can a Valkyrie play superior Loki's Gift targeting herself if Brunhilde isn't ready?

Loki's Gift
[Action] Action

[Protean] Protean

+1 stealth hunt action.
[pro] Gain 1 blood and this card. This vampire can burn this card and 1 blood to get +1 stealth. A vampire can have only one Loki's Gift.
[PRO] (D) As above, and burn a blood from any vampire. This vampire may burn this card as above, or may burn it during a referendum to gain 2 votes.

Valkyrie relevent text:

Valkyrie cannot perform (D) actions unless Brunhilde is ready.

Last edit: 16 Feb 2015 20:22 by Miasmat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2015 20:59 #69276 by Lead
The D symbol is a reminder.

When you target a directed action at yourself (including a card you control), it is by definition now undirected. Both your predator and prey are eligible blockers, as for all undirected actions.

Reminder: you can't enter combat with one of your own minions.

More
16 Feb 2015 21:01 #69277 by Ankha

Is superior Loki's Gift directed, if I choose one of my own vampires as the target to lose blood?

Particularly, can a Valkyrie play superior Loki's Gift targeting herself if Brunhilde isn't ready?

Loki's Gift
[Action] Action

[Protean] Protean

+1 stealth hunt action.
[pro] Gain 1 blood and this card. This vampire can burn this card and 1 blood to get +1 stealth. A vampire can have only one Loki's Gift.
[PRO] (D) As above, and burn a blood from any vampire. This vampire may burn this card as above, or may burn it during a referendum to gain 2 votes.

Valkyrie relevent text:

Valkyrie cannot perform (D) actions unless Brunhilde is ready.

Quoting the rulebook:

As a convenience, when a card describes an action that is typically directed at another Methuselah, the card's text will usually include a (D) symbol as a reminder that the action is typically directed.

(D) actions are not always directed. For instance, if you perform an action against yourself (or a minion you control), it is undirected:

If the action targets one or more other Methuselahs (or things controlled by other Methuselahs), then the action is called directed, and only the Methuselahs who are targeted (or control the targets) may use their ready untapped minions to attempt to block the action (going clockwise from the acting Methuselah, as usual). If the action is not directed at another Methuselah (or at something controlled by another Methuselah), then the action is called undirected and can be blocked by the acting Methuselah's prey or predator, with the prey getting the first opportunity to block.

So yes, a Valkyrie can play Loki's Gift at superior (provided she has superior Protean) by choosing another vampire you control.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
18 Feb 2015 02:37 #69307 by mirddes
i think perhaps a good question, for those of us who are less familiar, is how would you use such a move to your advantage?

More
18 Feb 2015 07:51 #69314 by jamesatzephyr

i think perhaps a good question, for those of us who are less familiar, is how would you use such a move to your advantage?

Largely, situations that you wouldn't necessarily hope to do, but which might come up in play.

The only legal targets for the superior are your own vampires. e.g. you're down to a 1 on 1 fight vs an Imbued deck, or you're super early in the game and no-one else has a vampire out yet but you really want the plus votes.

You have temporary control of a legal target (e.g. Mind Rape), and want to burn the blood from that vampire, even though you control it.

More
18 Feb 2015 21:02 #69321 by Miasmat
I was going with an empty vampire, takes the Loki's Gift action (cuz it's a hunt action), (meaninglessly) burns the blood, then gains the 1 blood from Loki's and has a way to get 2 votes/+1 stealth later.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds