file Dam the Heart's River and Catatonic Fear

01 Feb 2017 12:27 - 01 Feb 2017 12:44 #80444 by TwoRazorReign

Superior effect is a strike (you can replace the "As above" part by "Strike: combat ends"), so it's clear the damage is inflicted by the strike.

Catatonic fear breaks from the usual template then. Almost all "as above, and..." templates repeat the subject.

With Catatonic Fear, the subject ("this strike") needs to be included not only to follow the usual template, but also because not stating the subject could lead to confusion (are "you" inflicting the damage? Is the damage being inflicted environmental? Is the minion inflicting the damage? Is the strike inflicting the damage?)
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 12:44 by TwoRazorReign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2017 20:04 #80506 by Blooded Sand

Catatonic fear breaks from the usual template then. Almost all "as above, and..." templates repeat the subject.

If you make such assertions, please back them up with card text.

Catatonic fear breaks from the usual template then. With Catatonic Fear, the subject ("this strike") needs to be included not only to follow the usual template, but also because not stating the subject could lead to confusion (are "you" inflicting the damage? Is the damage being inflicted environmental? Is the minion inflicting the damage? Is the strike inflicting the damage?)[/quote]

If i have a card that says: Strike: Combat ends, and inflict 1 damage on the opposing minion.
What does the damage?

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:

More
03 Feb 2017 20:28 - 03 Feb 2017 22:56 #80508 by TwoRazorReign

If you make such assertions, please back them up with card text.

Mercy of Seth. Perhaps I should pick a better example.

HERE IS THE CARD TEXT
Alacrity
As above, and if this action is blocked...

If this changed to "As above, and if blocked...", there's no syntax issues, but it becomes unclear what is being blocked (the action? The vampire? The minion?). There's a reason why "this action is" was included. The same template should be used on Catatonic Fear.

If i have a card that says: Strike: Combat ends, and inflict 1 damage on the opposing minion.
What does the damage?

Okay, i'll use your logic here: If I have a card that says +1 stealth, what is getting the stealth? Should we remove "this action is" from Alacrity?
Last edit: 03 Feb 2017 22:56 by TwoRazorReign.

More
03 Feb 2017 20:48 #80509 by Blooded Sand
The problem you are having is with card text. If you then name a card, the standard protocol is to quote the card. I am not copying texts for you every time because you are too lazy to do it yourself. Copy the text, then we can discuss.

More
03 Feb 2017 21:42 - 03 Feb 2017 21:44 #80520 by TwoRazorReign

The problem you are having is with card text. If you then name a card, the standard protocol is to quote the card. I am not copying texts for you every time because you are too lazy to do it yourself. Copy the text, then we can discuss.

Geez, settle down. Why so hostile? Because you realize your argument is wrong?
Last edit: 03 Feb 2017 21:44 by TwoRazorReign.

More
04 Feb 2017 06:21 #80543 by Blooded Sand

Geez, settle down. Why so hostile? Because you realize your argument is wrong?

You are reading hostility where there is none. Remember, any emotion you read in text is most supplied by yourself.

The standard protocol for queries regarding card text is to quote the card in question so as to avoid any unnecessary confusion.

As the discussion is regarding confusion regarding card text, it seems meet to avoid any further confusion by being explicit regarding text in question. Make sense now?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds