file I Know, I Know another question about Agro' Damage

29 Mar 2016 21:59 #76103 by dabbler
Hello. I'm getting used to the newly remodeled site. Thanks Admins. My question is to help me teach a new player about something I'm still not to sure about. Handling Agro Damage, specifically agro damage resulting in burning the opposing Vamp. My examples: A vamp opposing the Assimite Vamp that does agro damage has a Contract card played on them, the vamp has 4 blood at the start of combat, the agro damage vamp uses the card that gives +3 hand damage to a vamp that they have a Contract card on. The first hit is four agro damage. As I currently understand the rules that just puts the vamp in Torpor with no blood. Am I correct? Would the agro damaging vamp be able to play an additional strike after dealing the first strike of agro?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2016 23:39 #76104 by brettscho
Yeah, Agg damage can be hard to figure out. Think of it as damage that simply can't be healed. So normal damage gets healed by spending 1 blood per damage. But if you can't heal the damage (like you are dealt damage when you have no blood to heal it, or if you are dealt a single point of agg damage) then you are sent to torpor.

When a vampire gets dealt more than 1 point of agg damage, the first point sends them to torpor (because they can't heal it), and every subsequent point burns 1 blood from them. So if you were dealt 4 agg damage, it would send you to Torpor and cause you to burn 3 blood. If you are ever forced to burn blood due to agg damage but can't, you are instead burned.

So if you want to burn a vampire with 1 blood, you will need to do 3 agg damage to them (1 to put them in torpor, 1 to burn their last blood, and 1 to burn them).

Once one minion goes to torpor, combat immediately ends (as in, goes to the "end of combat" phase when cards like Taste of Vitae can be played), so you can't play additional strikes or presses.

In case you're interested, I just recently wrote an article which attempts to explain the basics of combat, which you can find here: Combat Primer . Hope you find it useful!

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dabbler

More
30 Mar 2016 00:34 #76105 by blackday
In the case you cited, your vamp would be in torpor with 1 blood.
Since he had 4 blood to begin with and got hit with 4 agg dmg. 1st agg sends him to torpor, 2nd pt burns a blood, 3rd another and 4th agg dmg another blood. As brettscho already said it takes x+2 agg dmg to burn a vamp if none of it was prevented.
So to put the vamp in torpor and zero blood you need 5 agg dmg or a combination of regular damage and agg dmg that results in a total of 5.
No, you would not be able to play an additional strike as he has been sent to torpor and the combat itself concludes. Unless he plays something like undead persistence or something.

More
30 Mar 2016 07:21 #76107 by chrisn101
I find it's always worth having a print-off of this post on hand:

vtesone.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/resolving-aggravated-damage/

More
30 Mar 2016 07:30 - 30 Mar 2016 08:10 #76108 by jamesatzephyr

When a vampire gets dealt more than 1 point of agg damage, the first point sends them to torpor (because they can't heal it), and every subsequent point burns 1 blood from them. So if you were dealt 4 agg damage, it would send you to Torpor and cause you to burn 3 blood. If you are ever forced to burn blood due to agg damage but can't, you are instead burned.

When you take agg damage, the first point sends you to torpor (makes you wounded) unless you are already wounded. This is particularly important if you get hit by multiple sources of damage at once - an aggravated hand strike plus Carrion Crows; similar with a Ghoul Retainer; or just go to torpor from being hit with a go-to-torpor strike (Rowan Ring, Coma etc.) plus agg damage from another source.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 08:10 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho, dabbler

More
30 Mar 2016 07:49 #76109 by dabbler
Indeed. Tanks'.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds