file Slave combat impulse

10 Oct 2016 20:27 - 10 Oct 2016 20:29 #78644 by BogusMagus
Who goes first in a slave combat?

A Tremere vampire attempts an action.
He is blocked by a Nosferatu.
The slave mechanic is invoked and a Gargoyle enters combat instead of the Tremere.
In the following combat, who goes first, the Gargoyle or the Nosferatu?

I presume the Gargoyle has the first impulse in the combat,
but I couldn't find it in the rule.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2016 20:29 by BogusMagus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2016 20:52 #78646 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Slave combat impulse

Who goes first in a slave combat?

In any combat, the acting Methuselah goes first by default, whether it's from a block combat, a successful rush action, a slave combat, Hidden Lurker, Fast Reaction, combatant swapped by Free Fight etc. It's just the normal sequencing rules from the rulebook.

1.6.1.5 - Sequencing. If two or more players want to play a card or effect, the acting Methuselah plays first. At every stage, the acting player always has the opportunity to play the next card or effect. So after playing one effect, she may play another and another. Once she is finished, the opportunity passes to the defending Methuselah (in the cases of directed actions and combat), then to the rest of the Methuselahs in clockwise order from the acting Methuselah. Note that if any Methuselah uses a card or effect, the acting Methuselah again gets the opportunity to play the next effect.

You need explicit text to overturn this, such as superior Rapid Thought or Deep Song.

Frenzy. (D) Enter combat with and tap a ready vampire controlled by another Methuselah. In that combat, that vampire is considered the acting minion.

Only usable during the choose-strike step, and only if this vampire would choose his or her strike first. Instead, the opposing minion chooses his or her strike first.

More
11 Oct 2016 19:33 #78656 by BogusMagus
Replied by BogusMagus on topic Slave combat impulse
Oh, I misunderstood.
So it's"acting Methuselah", not "acting Minion".

(BTW, we always played like that (correctly). I just wasn't sure about it.)

Thank you again, jamesatzephyr!

More
11 Oct 2016 19:38 #78658 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Slave combat impulse

Oh, I misunderstood.
So it's"acting Methuselah", not "acting Minion".

(BTW, we always played like that (correctly). I just wasn't sure about it.)

It's an easy thing to conflate the two ideas, because the two are so very commonly the same thing, practically speaking.

But it also means that, for example, when playing action modifiers with minions who aren't the acting minion (e.g. Cloak the Gathering, Hidden Lurker), you as the acting Methuselah go first under the ordinary sequencing rules - even though you're not playing the card with the acting minion.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds