question-circle Blood Fury vs Ivory Bow+Rötschreck

19 May 2017 08:10 #81920 by Lazoth
As the acting vampire, I declare Bloody Fury as my strike and the opposing minion declares Ivory Bow with the intention of playing Rötschreck. When does Blood Fury weapon clause trigger? Does it trigger during the strike declaration phase since it is looking for an opponent attempting to use a weapon, or does it only trigger during strike resolution phase?
If the latter then does it apply retroactively (Against a weapon with first strike)?

So to put it a bit more simply, due to the wording on both cards will Blood Fury (and similar cards) cause the opponents weapon to inflict no damage (which according to LSJ here means Rötschreck cant be played) when it is played in the declare strike step when the conditions for Rötschreck are checked?

So how do you intend to survive?
Bleed faster
:MAL::baal::STR:
When plumbing the depths of depravity, I must remember to come up for air.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2017 10:01 - 19 May 2017 10:05 #81933 by Ankha
Your reacting opponent can play Rötschreck when announcing his strikes because Blood Fury hasn't resolved yet.

Name: Blood Fury
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Thaumaturgy
Only usable at close range.
[tha] Strike: hand strike at +1 damage. This damage cannot be prevented by cards that require Fortitude [for]. If the opposing vampire attempts to strike with a weapon this round, he or she does no damage.
[THA] As above, but for strength+2 damage.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 19 May 2017 10:05 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beslin igor

More
20 May 2017 09:41 #81951 by beslin igor
Does that mean also that Blood Fury vs any weapon with first strike does not work? and minion must take damage from weapon?

More
20 May 2017 11:34 - 20 May 2017 11:34 #81952 by jamesatzephyr

Does that mean also that Blood Fury vs any weapon with first strike does not work? and minion must take damage from weapon?

The anti-weapon text is part of the Blood Fury strike. Here's a ruling about the similar Soul Burn:

[LSJ 20040928]

> 2. If soul burn is dodged, does the "weapon inflict no damage" thing
> take effect or not ? (i believe not)
"Not" is correct. Dodge protects the dodger from all effects of the
strike.

> Does soul burn prevents weapon damage only from additional strikes ?
> or does it prevent weapon damage from the initial strike, too ?
From the currently-resolving strike (if any) and any further strikes
in the same round (if any).

That is, it negates weapon damage from the initial strike if Soul
Burn is also an initial strike and the weapon strike is not done
with first strike (the latter can be overcome by making the Soul
Burn strike also at first strike, of course).

So if you dodge my Soul Burn, and then you play some additional strikes and shoot me with an Ivory Bow or gun or whatever, that damage hurts me.

Because the anti-weapon text is part of the strike, it resolves with the strike. It isn't like playing Song of Serenity before range, which drops my strength immediately. It's a strike, and so the strike needs to resolve.

If I hit you with a first strike gun strike and you play Blood Fury, the anti-weapon effect won't have taken effect when my first strike resolves. If you gained First Strike somehow - say, Backstab or Silence of Death - your Blood Fury strike would have first strike, and so the anti-weapon effect would resolve at the same time as my first strike gun, negating it as normal.
Last edit: 20 May 2017 11:34 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beslin igor

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds