file Nest of Eagles

11 Nov 2017 01:55 #84212 by Malcolm Sprye
Nest of Eagles was created by Malcolm Sprye
I feel like this has been ruled on/clarified... yet I can't find it with searching either google or here on VEKN.
Nest of eagles reads: "Reduce a bleed against you by 1. If the acting minion is a vampire with capacity less than 6 or an ally, reduce the bleed by 3. Not usable if the acting minion is an Assamite or wraith or has flight [FLIGHT] ." (text from SecretLibrary, matches the text on the physical card).
Reading the card procedurally (i.e. every full sentence is a separate command), I would reduce the bleed against myself by 1. THEN, I would check if the bleeder satisfied the second part. If they did, I'd reduce the bleed by another 3, for a total of 4.
This is the most logical. If the writers wanted it to reduce the bleed by 3 and not 4 against weenies, they could have put a comma with an "or" (i.e. "... by 1, or if the acting...") OR they could have added an "instead" at the end (i.e. "...or an ally, reduce the bleed by 3 instead.").
So as written the card reduces bleeds by 1 or 4.
BUT... I have a vague memory of a ruling that it was for 3 instead? Am I misremembering? It's not in the rulings list, nor do I find it in this forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2017 03:41 - 11 Nov 2017 03:42 #84213 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Nest of Eagles

Reading the card procedurally (i.e. every full sentence is a separate command), I would reduce the bleed against myself by 1. THEN, I would check if the bleeder satisfied the second part. If they did, I'd reduce the bleed by another 3, for a total of 4.
This is the most logical. If the writers wanted it to reduce the bleed by 3 and not 4 against weenies, they could have put a comma with an "or" (i.e. "... by 1, or if the acting...") OR they could have added an "instead" at the end (i.e. "...or an ally, reduce the bleed by 3 instead.").

Interesting. Would you also argue that when playing Aire of Elation at inferior Presence, you'd bleed for +1, then add +2 if acting vampire is Toreador, for a total of +3 bleed?

Aire of Elation
You cannot play another action modifier to further increase the bleed for this action.
pre: +1 bleed; +2 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador.
PRE:+2 bleed; +3 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2017 03:42 by TwoRazorReign.

More
11 Nov 2017 04:13 #84214 by Blooded Sand
Replied by Blooded Sand on topic Nest of Eagles

-SNIP-

Good etiquette for card queries is to quote the card text. Please try to do so in future.

Nest of Eagles
Type: Reaction
Requires: Assamite
Reduce a bleed against you by 1. If the acting minion is a vampire with capacity less than 6 or an ally, reduce the bleed by 3. Not usable if the acting minion is an Assamite or wraith or has flight [FLIGHT].

Let's find something to compare with that is similar in nature. In other words, a full stop separated, 2 separate effect, no discipline card. Disciplines explicitly have to be played at one or another discipline level, as per the rule book.

King's Favor
Requires: Guruhi
Only usable during a referendum. Boon.
This Guruhi gets 3 additional votes. If this Guruhi casts votes in favor, and the referendum passes by the number of votes this Guruhi cast or fewer, put this card in play. While this card is in play, that acting vampire may not block this Guruhi. You may burn this card during any Methuselah's unlock phase to move up to 3 blood from that vampire to this Guruhi.

All of these effects are full stop separated, and none are conditional on each other. Thus if their conditions are met, they occur. So far, so much in agreement.

Loyalist
Requires: Ventrue antitribu
Only usable during a referendum. Usable by a locked vampire.
This vampire gains 3 votes against the referendum. If the acting vampire is Sabbat and the referendum fails, move up to 2 blood from the acting vampire to this vampire.

Much closer in conditions and effects. And both hold.

You might very well have a strong case for a ruling in your favour here. As far as parsing the sentence is concerned, you are correct. It would be 2 separate condition response sets.

Interesting. Would you also argue that when playing Aire of Elation at inferior Presence, you'd bleed for +1, then add +2 if acting vampire is Toreador, for a total of +3 bleed?

Aire of Elation
You cannot play another action modifier to further increase the bleed for this action.
pre: +1 bleed; +2 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador.
PRE:+2 bleed; +3 bleed if the acting vampire is Toreador.

No, as the separation is not a full stop "." which indicates a complete end of statement, but a semi colon, ";" which indicates a conditional

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malcolm Sprye

More
11 Nov 2017 04:38 #84215 by Malcolm Sprye
Replied by Malcolm Sprye on topic Nest of Eagles
Except Aire of elation is separated by semi-colons instead of periods. That is a way of separating distinct options in a list. That isn't the same as complete sentences with full stop periods. Neither grammatically, nor in the conventions of CCGs.

More
11 Nov 2017 06:31 - 11 Nov 2017 06:32 #84217 by Malcolm Sprye
Replied by Malcolm Sprye on topic Nest of Eagles
When you say quote the card text, do you mean put it in a quote box? Because I had the entire card text in quotes in my original post.

Yeah, anyway, I know that as written it looks like my reading is right. However, as I said, I could have sworn there was a ruling that disagreed with me. Anybody seen a ruling on this?
Last edit: 11 Nov 2017 06:32 by Malcolm Sprye.

More
11 Nov 2017 08:05 - 11 Nov 2017 08:06 #84218 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Nest of Eagles
It's 1 or 3.

groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/mOSm5qLNzyQ/-O3BrCtyfSoJ

> #1. So if a vampire with capacity less than 6 or an ally is bleeding
> you and you play Nest of Eagles, the bleed is reduced by a total of 4,
> right? The first clause reduces it by one, and then the second
> (conditional) clause reduces it by another 3. Since the second clause
> does not replace the first sentence (no "instead") it seems like both
> would trigger, reducing the bleed by 4. Correct? Was that the original
> intent?
No. 3.

I'll update the future card text to make this clear (also Aire of Elation)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 11 Nov 2017 08:06 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardyrange, Malcolm Sprye

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds