file Conditioning Vs Eagle's Sight

23 Jan 2018 18:12 #85032 by brandonsantacruz
Another thing came up in our tournaments this weekend and it is not a new issue; announcing bleed modifiers vs announcing unusual blocks. A ruling was made that because I had asked my prey for blockers and then played conditioning that I am committed to playing the card despite another player jumping in with Eagle's Sight. The argument at the time was that I played the card and would still be *able to* play the card if someone was blocking out of turn, even though it was not at all evident that the player might do that, therefore I had to spend the blood and the card before addressing my predator's block.

The only way I know of to prevent this issue in it's entirety is to start asking for unusual blocks as soon as someone with AUS or Mytherecia (sp) is one the table (assuming the player doesn't say "sorry, I didn't hear you ask for blocks. I block."). What is the most reasonable way to deal with the above situation in general?

Thanks!

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 18:23 #85033 by kschaefer
If you specifically asked for blocks from all players, then the ES should have been disallowed, but from your context it sounded like you only asked your prey, so the ES should be allowed.

See these two LSJ comments: [1] , [2] .

More
23 Jan 2018 18:46 #85034 by brandonsantacruz
LSJ does address a player's ability to play Eagle's Sight there, but does not address whether a player is forced to play their bleed modifier if they forget to ask "any other blocks?"

-Friedrich Nietzsche

More
23 Jan 2018 19:31 #85035 by kschaefer
You have the impulse. You can choose to ask for any other blocks or you can play cards. If you choose the former, then players must respond. If you choose the latter, you still have the impulse until you pass it, and anyone who has not already declined to block can do so when you do pass it.

More
24 Jan 2018 08:52 #85052 by Lönkka
No point in just waiting around.
Slows the games down.

I think, especially with suitable disciplines/vamps on the table, you should ask "Any blocks" and then slowly eye everyone on the table.

If you want to be more certain you could add "OK. Since no one is blocking I'm going to play...". And then they still can play ES if they so incline.

Occasionally after the prey has declined to block, when I've had an AUS minion, I've started to add "No block from me eirher (pointing the AUS minion" even if I don't have a single ES in my deck. You know, just to play with people's minds...

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
24 Jan 2018 21:51 #85073 by brandonsantacruz
Ok, so the Eagle's Sight issue is similar to Direct Intervention. Ask incessantly or face punishment.

This seems like an abusable ruling, but maybe the best compromise given the way the game works right now. For example, you could sit around with your weenie AUS dude and Eagle's Sight waiting for your prey to lunge, then block after he forgets to ask if you block, modifying his bleed.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds