file Quick question about Hide the mind and cancelling cards

07 Feb 2018 15:53 #85245 by Tendoncutter
Greetings

For some reason I have become unsure of how cancelling cards affect the following possibilities, specifically regarding Hide the Mind.

Question:
If I cancel a reaction card requiring Auspex (Telepathic Misdirection for instance), by playing Hide the Mind, does this force the reacting player to:

a) Discard the reaction card in question?
&
b) Be unable to play an additional copy of the same reaction card, during the action, in the event that he either had one in his hands or drew one as a replacement for the cancelled card?

Card text: Hide the Mind
[obf] [COMBAT] Cancel a combat card that requires Auspex [aus] as it is played. No cost is paid.
[OBF] [ACTION MODIFIER] Cancel a reaction card that requires Auspex as it is played. No cost is paid.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 16:20 #85246 by drnlmza

Question:
If I cancel a reaction card requiring Auspex (Telepathic Misdirection for instance), by playing Hide the Mind, does this force the reacting player to:

a) Discard the reaction card in question?

Yes. From the rulebook's summary of special terms

“Cancel a card”: A "canceled" card has no effect, but it is still considered played (and more stuff)

and, in most cases, a played card is discarded after playing it.

b) Be unable to play an additional copy of the same reaction card, during the action, in the event that he either had one in his hands or drew one as a replacement for the cancelled card?

The card counts as played, so the "A minion cannot play the same reaction card more than once during a single action." limitation applies.

The reacting Methuselah could play another copy of the reaction card, but it would have to be with a different minion.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha, Tendoncutter

More
08 Feb 2018 14:45 #85263 by Tendoncutter
Thanks for the feedback. In the situation in question I can't recall if the second card was used on another minion or the same, but it does make Hide the Mind a bit more applicable.

A followup question would be:

If I used stealth to deny a potential block, and subsequently played Hide The Mind to cancel a telepathic misdirection to prevent the bounce.
Can the blocking Methuselah freely attempt to block(and play reaction cards) with another minion? From the above answer, I suppose it would be yes, but I am unsure if the fact that I have played action modifer and cancelled a reaction card after blocking was unsuccessful has any bearing?

More
08 Feb 2018 15:14 #85264 by ur_vampire
AFAIK another minion can try to block/play reaction cards because the minion and not the methuselah has failed to block.

More
08 Feb 2018 15:22 #85265 by drnlmza

A followup question would be:

If I used stealth to deny a potential block, and subsequently played Hide The Mind to cancel a telepathic misdirection to prevent the bounce.
Can the blocking Methuselah freely attempt to block(and play reaction cards) with another minion? From the above answer, I suppose it would be yes, but I am unsure if the fact that I have played action modifer and cancelled a reaction card after blocking was unsuccessful has any bearing?

They cannot attempt to block if you cancel the bounce card.

Relevant bit card text:

:AUS: Only usable whan a minion is bleeding you, after blocks have been declined. ...

And, from the rulebook,
"Once a Methuselah decides not to make any further attempts to block, that decision is final. " and
"Note that moving past the block attempts (when all Methuselahs have declined to block) is an effect and so allows the acting Methuselah (and others) to play more cards and effects."

The decision not to block must be made before a bounce card can even be played, and cancelling the bounce doesn't cancel that decision.

They can play other reaction cards that are playable after blocks have been declined (a different bounce card, bleed reduction, wake cards to cycle, and so on).

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds