file Conquer the Beast Wording

30 Mar 2018 04:51 #86089 by Killiam
Hi Again! Easy question this time (I hope).

The wording on different copies of Conquer the Beast is inconsistent; one version contains a clause regarding not being able to use equipment, and the other does not.

The version on Secret Library includes it:
"[ani] This vampire gets one press each round, only usable to continue combat. He or she is obliged to use this press and cannot use equipment. This continues until 3 rounds pass with no cards played."

The versions on Amaranth also include\s it, but interestingly, the explicit website text differs from the text on the card image right beside it --- although they both have the clause in some version.

Here's the question: What is the official wording of Conquer the Beast?

Believe it or not, there's a bottle of Ardbeg riding on this. I have my fingers crossed that a Methuselah playing Conquer may not use equipment.

Follow up question: Is there a place on the internet where I can view *THE Official*, up-to-date wordings for cards? If so, may I please have the URL?

Thanks again!

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"How did some slip of a girly boy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?" -Hedwig Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2018 05:15 - 30 Mar 2018 05:16 #86090 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Conquer the Beast Wording
These should be the most up to date, official card texts as far as I know:

www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/cardlist.txt

They can be found from this very website, on the left hand side bar under Card Lists.

Name: Conquer the Beast
[Jyhad:R, VTES:R]
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Animalism
Only usable before before range is determined on the first round.
[ani] This vampire gets one press each round, only usable to continue combat. He or she is obliged to use this press and cannot use equipment. This continues until 3 rounds pass with no cards played.
[ANI] As above, but the presses are optional.
Artist: Melissa Benson

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 30 Mar 2018 05:16 by Kraus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killiam

More
30 Mar 2018 13:29 #86095 by drnlmza
Replied by drnlmza on topic Conquer the Beast Wording

The wording on different copies of Conquer the Beast is inconsistent; one version contains a clause regarding not being able to use equipment, and the other does not.

I'm intrigued.

Conquer the Beast was only printed in Jyhad and VtES, and all the copies of I've seen (admittedly not many, since it's a seldom played card that was rare in both expansions) have the equipment restriction - it was differently worded in Jyhad "You may not use equipment" vs "cannot use equipment", but the restriction was there.

(see vtes.pl/card/Vampire-the-Eternal-Struggle/Conquer-the-Beast/39182?tab=printings#table for scans of the two versions, for example)

Which expansion is the one without the restriction from?

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
30 Mar 2018 15:03 #86096 by Killiam
Replied by Killiam on topic Conquer the Beast Wording
I believe it was VtES. I was shown a physical card and it did indeed lack any reference to equipment; that's how I ended up in a bet over a bottle of scotch.

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"How did some slip of a girly boy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?" -Hedwig Robinson

More
30 Mar 2018 15:34 - 30 Mar 2018 15:44 #86098 by TwoRazorReign
Both versions have the equipment use restriction. Perhaps the version you saw was a misprint or early unofficial version that was later changed?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2018 15:44 by TwoRazorReign.

More
31 Mar 2018 17:58 #86104 by drnlmza
Replied by drnlmza on topic Conquer the Beast Wording

I believe it was VtES. I was shown a physical card and it did indeed lack any reference to equipment; that's how I ended up in a bet over a bottle of scotch.

Any chance of getting a scan of the card?

I've personally never encountered a variant VtES print before, so I'm really curious about it.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds