file No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

02 Apr 2018 17:06 #86128 by Killiam
The wording for Vlad Tepes is rather interesting:

Independent: Vlad can play and use cards requiring a title or a sect as if he had that title or were of that sect. +1 bleed.

I’m particularly interested in “can...use”. This wording seems to imply that if he plays a card requiring a sect or title that goes on him, his use of that card, and whether or not a sect/title-specific effect triggers at a particular time, is OPTIONAL, per the verbiage “can”. Is this right?

The case for abuse would be as follows:

Vlad plays No Secrets From the Magaji, worded as follows:

No Secrets From the Magaji
[Action] Action
+1 stealth action. Requires a ready magaji.
Put this card on this magaji and untap him or her. The magaji with this card gets +1 intercept when attempting to block vampires. If this magaji is tapped, he or she may attempt to block a vampire as if untapped. Burn this card if this magaji attempts to block a vampire but is not successful. A vampire may have only one No Secrets From the Magaji.

I can imagine a scenario in which the clause “Burn this card if this magaji attempts to block a vampire but is not successful” would normally kick in, but the player argues, “oh, I just won’t use the card as a magaji with respect to my failing to block, so the card doesn’t burn. After all, Vlad is not a magaji.”

Thanks!

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"I look back from where I'm from
Look at the woman I've become
And the strangest things seem
Suddenly routine"
-Hedwig Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2018 17:41 - 02 Apr 2018 17:44 #86129 by jamesatzephyr

The wording for Vlad Tepes is rather interesting:

Independent: Vlad can play and use cards requiring a title or a sect as if he had that title or were of that sect. +1 bleed.

I’m particularly interested in “can...use”.

This thread over here: www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/69627-vlad-tepes-regent?start=6 has many interesting points about it. I've started on the second page, because that's where actual useful information starts because Pascal starts clarifying things, whereas page one is mostly speculation. Read the whole thing if you can, however.

This wording seems to imply that if he plays a card requiring a sect or title that goes on him, his use of that card, and whether or not a sect/title-specific effect triggers at a particular time, is OPTIONAL, per the verbiage “can”. Is this right?

In most cases, it's also optional because Vlad doesn't have to do the thing that uses the card - say, a card in play that requires a Sabbat vampire to take an action to burn it, such as calling a referendum to burn Purchase Pact. (It requires a sect or title to play, so when he takes the action to burn it, he can mirror those requirement on that action.)

No Secrets From the Magaji
[Action] Action
+1 stealth action. Requires a ready magaji.
Put this card on this magaji and untap him or her. The magaji with this card gets +1 intercept when attempting to block vampires. If this magaji is tapped, he or she may attempt to block a vampire as if untapped. Burn this card if this magaji attempts to block a vampire but is not successful. A vampire may have only one No Secrets From the Magaji.

I can imagine a scenario in which the clause “Burn this card if this magaji attempts to block a vampire but is not successful” would normally kick in, but the player argues, “oh, I just won’t use the card as a magaji with respect to my failing to block, so the card doesn’t burn. After all, Vlad is not a magaji.”

It's never been explicitly ruled on to my knowledge, but my off-the-cuff ruling in a tournament environment where I didn't know better would be:

His card text says he can use the card as a Magaji. When he chooses to use it in that way, he gets the good bits and the bad bits, and that means he gets to attempt a block with consequences if he fails. That's one "use", to my mind - he can block as a Magaji, with the good bits and the bad bits.

Somewhat analogously, if Mata Hari had sufficient capacity to bring the Great Beast into play immediately with the initial play of Call the Great Beast, she can't pretend to be a Baali for the purposes of playing the card but then turn it off for resolution so she doesn't burn.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 17:44 by jamesatzephyr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killiam

More
02 Apr 2018 17:46 - 02 Apr 2018 17:47 #86130 by Killiam
Replied by Killiam on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

His card text says he can use the card as a Magaji. When he chooses to use it in that way, he gets the good bits and the bad bits, and that means he gets to attempt a block block with consequences if he fails.

Okay, then if Vlad were untapped or playing a Wake effect to block instead of using the No-Secrets block effect, then he could choose not to burn it, correct?

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"I look back from where I'm from
Look at the woman I've become
And the strangest things seem
Suddenly routine"
-Hedwig Robinson
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 17:47 by Killiam. Reason: extra, incorrect quote bracket included

More
03 Apr 2018 00:52 #86133 by blackday
Replied by blackday on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes
I played No secrets using Vlad before. I always played with the assumption that any failed block whether or not given by No secrets would burn it.
Since the 'burn this card...' text is in the next sentence.
Ill wait for James or Pascal for a more definitive answer.

More
03 Apr 2018 05:51 #86135 by kschaefer
Card text:
Burn this card if this magaji attempts to block a vampire but is not successful.

It doesn't matter how the attempts fails, only that the attempt fails.

More
03 Apr 2018 13:42 - 03 Apr 2018 13:56 #86137 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

His card text says he can use the card as a Magaji. When he chooses to use it in that way, he gets the good bits and the bad bits, and that means he gets to attempt a block block with consequences if he fails.

Okay, then if Vlad were untapped or playing a Wake effect to block instead of using the No-Secrets block effect, then he could choose not to burn it, correct?

A more simple scenario would be: a Magaji who has played NSftM loses their title. Does the NSftM burns when that vampire fails to block?

The answer is no since "this Magaji" is inapplicable.

For the record, "this Magaji" refers to the minion the card is attached to, and who is a Magaji. For instance, "This Sabbat vampire" on the Kaymakli Fragment refers to a bearer who is a Sabbat vampire.

Back to Vlad Tepes: "This Magaji" refers to Vlad Tepes when he's using the card, that is when he either uses the intercept provided by the card or the "can block as if unlocked" ability*. In that case the card would burn if he fails to block.

If he's not using the card and fails to block, the card doesn't burn.

* note that in that case, he's forced to use the +1 intercept part too. As soon as he's using the card, he gains both abilities.**

** this leads to a limitation to Vlad Tepes using the No Secrets: if Vlad is locked and a vampire with no stealth is acting, Vlad can't use the No Secrets to block that vampire since he would gain intercept that is not needed, the same way he wouldn't be able to burn 1 blood with a Bowl of Convergence, or lock a WMRH Talk Radio to gain intercept.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 13:56 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killiam

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds