file No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

04 Apr 2018 11:37 #86154 by TwoRazorReign
I agree that a minion acting as if they had a requirement has a lot of coutnerintuitive components. Unless there is a dedicated section added to the rulebook that gets into every little situation of a minion acting as if they had a requirement, there is no amount of rewording on cards that is going to fix this. I wonder if it is better to just ban these cards. (I'm not joking or trying to be controversial; I already avoid any cards that allow a minion to act as if they had a requirement because I honestly do not know how to use them most of the time).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2018 12:18 - 04 Apr 2018 12:19 #86155 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

VERY counterintuitive!

My thoughts exactly.

I'm like, what.

I would NOT be able to read that from the card texts alone.

It is very similar to Guard Duty: you have to follow the cardtext, even if it's surprising.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 04 Apr 2018 12:19 by Ankha.

More
04 Apr 2018 15:51 #86156 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

VERY counterintuitive!

My thoughts exactly.

I'm like, what.

I would NOT be able to read that from the card texts alone.

It is very similar to Guard Duty: you have to follow the cardtext, even if it's surprising.

There is a clarification clause in the Amaranth version of Guard Duty, but not the card from Final Nights.

From reading the Final Nights version of Guard Duty I would not be able to comprehend that it is unusable if no intercept is needed.

Is this ruling really needed? Is there any way to work around it? It makes little sense (in any way but the strictest reading of the rules), is really confusing and often (I think) should be reminded in the card text.

Intercept in these, I feel, should be an added benefit, not a hinderance.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
04 Apr 2018 19:08 #86158 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

Is this ruling really needed? Is there any way to work around it? It makes little sense (in any way but the strictest reading of the rules), is really confusing and often (I think) should be reminded in the card text.

It's the application of the rules: you can't add intercept when you don't need intercept.

Intercept in these, I feel, should be an added benefit, not a hinderance.

For Guard Duty, it's the consequence of a badly designed card.
For Vlad Tepes, it results from the weird interactions his ability can generate.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
05 Apr 2018 06:32 #86161 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

Is this only relevant to Vlad?
And if so why (aren't "other" Magaji with NSFTM affected by this limitation)?

It's only relevant to Vlad who doesn't use it continuously.

Ah, OK now I see it.
Vlad needs to "activate" NSFTM.

, the same way he wouldn't be able to burn 1 blood with a Bowl of Convergence, or lock a WMRH Talk Radio to gain intercept.

For Bowl he needs to burn a blood and form WMRH he needs to tap WMRH.

For NSFTM he doesn't need to do anything as NSFTM grants him +1 intercept.

Vlad has to "use" it to get the intercept and the "block as if..." ability. Otherwise the NSftM has no effect. And Vlad can't use it if he doesn't need intercept (rulebook)[/quote]

I still think it is highly counterintuitive that if you have an effect (in the case of NSFTM block while untapped) and the same source also gives intercept you can't activate the effect if intercept is needed.

Regarding Guard Duty which is at best a very marginal card that sees no use, perhaps it could be made slightly less marginal card by making the intercept voluntary?

"Put this card on the acting minion and choose a location. If the chosen location is the target of a (D) action (and you control the location), this minion can burn 1 blood or burn this card to untap and attempt to block with OPTIONAL +1 intercept."

or

"Put this card on the acting minion and choose a location. If the chosen location is the target of a (D) action (and you control the location), this minion can burn 1 blood or burn this card to untap and attempt to block with +1 intercept IF NEEDED."

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
05 Apr 2018 08:07 #86162 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic No Secrets from Vlad Tepes

"Put this card on the acting minion and choose a location. If the chosen location is the target of a (D) action (and you control the location), this minion can burn 1 blood or burn this card to untap and attempt to block with +1 intercept IF NEEDED."

Or, rather, even if it is not yet needed so that we'll actually get the benefit?

I'm not sure what to do with Vlad and No secrets to make it more intuitive...

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds