file Official Posting of Impulse Rules

07 Apr 2018 22:06 #86186 by Killiam
Hi All,

I wanted to double-check some of the finer points of the impulse ruling, but I cannot seem to find the official wording posted anywhere.

Can someone please point me to a link?

That said, I'd also like to request (in case the right people are listening) that such a link be easily accessible via the VEKN.net website, if not directly added to the Rulebook.

Thanks!

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"I look back from where I'm from
Look at the woman I've become
And the strangest things seem
Suddenly routine"
-Hedwig Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2018 22:48 #86187 by TwoRazorReign

More
08 Apr 2018 08:05 - 08 Apr 2018 08:06 #86190 by jamesatzephyr

I wanted to double-check some of the finer points of the impulse ruling, but I cannot seem to find the official wording posted anywhere.

The basic rule is in the rulebook, under sequencing, 1.6.1.5:
Sequencing. If two or more players want to play a card or effect, the acting Methuselah plays first. At every stage, the acting player always has the opportunity to play the next card or effect. So after playing one effect, she may play another and another. Once she is finished, the opportunity passes to the defending Methuselah (in the cases of directed actions and combat), then to the rest of the Methuselahs in clockwise order from the acting Methuselah. Note that if any Methuselah uses a card or effect, the acting Methuselah again gets the opportunity to play the next effect.

"Impulse" is just a shorthand way of saying "opportunity to play the next card of effect".

The overwhelming majority of rulings on the subject are just applying that to the facts at hand. In any given timing window / opportunity to use cards or effects, the impulse starts with the acting Methuselah first. If the acting Methuselah passes, it goes to the other Methuselahs in sequence, who may also then play a card, use an effect, or pass. If any Methuselah uses a card or effect, the impulse goes back to the acting Methuselah, because: "Note that if any Methuselah uses a card or effect, the acting Methuselah again gets the opportunity to play the next effect."

No Methuselah can just skip over an opportunity to play cards. e.g. if you're acting and have nothing you want to play pre-range in combat, you can't just skip ahead to maneuvers and deny me the opportunity to play pre-range cards. You don't play anything pre-range, so it passes to me. I think play Carrion Crows. The impulse goes back to you. Because you have the impulse, you might now change your mind and play something pre-range, because you weren't expecting my Carrion Crows.

Alternatively, you pass in pre-range, I pass in pre-range (and the rest of the table passes in pre-range), you can't change your mind and play Torn Signpost now, because you never got the impulse back in pre-range - it just passed around to other players one by one, and no-one used it for a card or effect. Since everyone passed, the timing window for pre-range closes, and we move on to the next bit of combat.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2018 08:06 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds