file New round structure - OPTION A - we'd like your feedback!

17 May 2018 18:40 - 17 May 2018 18:40 #87078 by Bloodartist

Taste vs Press is such an unintuitive thing that people who have played for decades still occasionally have to remind themselves how it works in my local games.

I don't think it's necessarily unintuitive. I think that's a function of an outline of all combat steps never being included in the main rulebook. Had something like this been included, perhaps people would know how to handle combat, ie, that the "end of round" step exists even if there are no cards played in that step (players have to actively decline playing cards in that step).

What is unintuitive in my opinion, is that taste should happen immediately afterward you have dealt damage, since taste is a reward for dealing damage. The press step in between sort of 'doesn't belong'. Instead, choice of continuing combat should be the last part of a round of combat in my opinion.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 17 May 2018 18:40 by Bloodartist. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2018 21:56 #87095 by TwoRazorReign

What is unintuitive in my opinion, is that taste should happen immediately afterward you have dealt damage, since taste is a reward for dealing damage. The press step in between sort of 'doesn't belong'. Instead, choice of continuing combat should be the last part of a round of combat in my opinion.

I hear you, but playing Taste of Vitae after presses allows for nuanced strategy that would be lost if it were played elsewhere. For example, perhaps one may decide to hang onto their Taste of Vitae and save it for a later combat if it was known combat was not going to continue via a press. I think the perceived non-intuitiveness is a small a price to pay for the strategic potential in this case.

More
18 May 2018 08:31 - 18 May 2018 08:31 #87111 by Bloodartist

I hear you, but playing Taste of Vitae after presses allows for nuanced strategy that would be lost if it were played elsewhere. For example, perhaps one may decide to hang onto their Taste of Vitae and save it for a later combat if it was known combat was not going to continue via a press. I think the perceived non-intuitiveness is a small a price to pay for the strategic potential in this case.

You need to elaborate this a bit, I don't understand what you are getting at. Example?

Almost always, if I play taste of vitae, I'm playing a combat deck and it is me, not the opponent, who decides whether or not to continue to next round. Whatever you are trying to get at sounds like a real fringe scenario..

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 18 May 2018 08:31 by Bloodartist.

More
18 May 2018 13:14 #87122 by ReverendRevolver
He seems be saying that he plays through the round, maybe draws enough extra cards to deal more damage in subsequent rounds (like draws a Blur off of playing pursuit for an additional strike with guns, or prevents hands for one with :for: and draws a slam with :POT: ) and his opponent is either another combat deck or a "soft target" that can generate presses to end (kindred spirits with Deny). So if they press to end, he plays taste. They don't, he holds it.

Now, I could argue that it should be played after the last opportunity for damage. So, end of strike resolution or beginning of press step (disarm, taste, DOTB damage) then presses can get played. Then round ends. Because that's simpler than current setup, gains the same opportunities it loses, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoRazorReign

More
18 May 2018 17:03 #87142 by Sambomb
I did this flow chart with some new keywords for steps that already exists in the game but is addressed as before/after something

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
Attachments:

More
18 May 2018 18:41 #87149 by Dryern
I prefere that choice, because will set specificly each step between the combats fases.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds