file New round structure - OPTION B - we'd like your feedback!

16 May 2018 15:14 - 16 May 2018 15:15 #86983 by Ankha

Round structure
1. Distance step

2. Strike step.
2.a Choose strike
2.b Resolve strike
Repeat 2a. and 2b. for every additional.

3. Leave step

Combat ends be moved to 1 (yes, all of them).
Immortal grapple be in 1.

No, the combat is mostly about strikes, moving strikes outside the strike step is a bad idea.
Furthermore, if S:CE and Immortal Grapple are played during the same step, S:CE beats IG if played first.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 16 May 2018 15:15 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2018 15:17 - 16 May 2018 15:18 #86984 by TwoRazorReign

Could we at least add a manuever to it? Something like this:

This is out of topic. You're trying to solve problems that don't exist.

I think this is an attempt to solve a potential problem brought about by combat steps in option B, specifically, trying to make up for the (perceived) weaker Immortal Grapple in the proposed combat system. It's definitely pertinent discussion.
Last edit: 16 May 2018 15:18 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ffiuza, Cat_in_Exile

More
16 May 2018 15:26 #86985 by Brum

While simplifying the combat sequence is a noble goal, this significantly changes a large number of cards - IG becomes easier to counter, but possibly easier to cycle, set range effects are stronger, a number of "only usable before X" cards are easier to play and so forth.

This needs to be very well tested before making the change.

All change will have pros and cons.
I agree 100% with you. This needs to be VERY well tested.
Fear should not be our main driver, however.

The goal should be to streamline combat, helping new players but also Judges.
Nobody spoke about them yet, but these guys have it hard in this game with obscure rulings that seem to contradict cards or rules and creates attrition between players, judges, etc..
7 hours in a tournament, tolerance is low, stress is high and the poor sobs judging have all the weight of the local community on their shoulders.
Anything we can help them, the better.

We can and must look forward with an open mind to a strong game with lots of new players and most of the old players coming back.

I have zero issues with changes in cards because we would be able to buy new versions of the cards.
If I choose not to, my old cards would still be legal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
16 May 2018 15:31 #86986 by Brum

I think this is an attempt to solve a potential problem brought about by combat steps in option B, specifically, trying to make up for the (perceived) weaker Immortal Grapple in the proposed combat system. It's definitely pertinent discussion.

Specific cards should NEVER be taken into account in these discussions, except to explain the proposed changes.
Its a Pandora's box that created noise and deviates the attention.
And creates attrition.

<Drama> if wallpapering Immortal Grapple saves combat, so be it.. </Drama>

That was joke, for those of you not getting the tag metaphor.

More
16 May 2018 15:35 #86988 by ffiuza

Specific cards should NEVER be taken into account in these discussions, except to explain the proposed changes.
Its a Pandora's box that created noise and deviates the attention.
And creates attrition.

<Drama> if wallpapering Immortal Grapple saves combat, so be it.. </Drama>

That was joke, for those of you not getting the tag metaphor.

I understand it now. I'll keep that in mind for future reference. No drama. Nice joke.

More
16 May 2018 16:15 - 16 May 2018 16:16 #86991 by brandonsantacruz

This is another options with less phases, increased flexibility in timing, but it nerfs down some cards (Immortal Grapple can now be countered by a maneuver played afterwards).
Round structure
  1. Approach step
  2. Strike step.
    2.a Choose strike
    2.b Resolve strike
  3. Additional strikes step
  4. Leave step

I appreciate that VEKN is taking a hard look at the rules. Some big changes could be good for the game and cut way down on (the need for) errata. I would also encourage some serious play testing before implementing changes, especially changes as far reaching as the above.

Not really for this discussion (because it is a bit off topic for this thread), more to the VEKN:

As a possible side note, could you also look at including icons for lock and unlock?

Another side note, I played a game recently where someone used Priority Contract and Provision of Silesia. As an experienced player I understand how this works (burning is not a cost of playing Provision, it is an effect), but it is a case where, intentionally or unintentionally, there are effects that appear to compete, but in reality do not. Could wording like this please be avoided?

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
Last edit: 16 May 2018 16:16 by brandonsantacruz.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds