file Illegal Search and Seizure question

18 Jun 2018 04:39 - 18 Jun 2018 04:40 #88227 by Cat_in_Exile
Let me preface this question with a disclaimer that I'm aware Illegal Search and Seizure is not a good card. That said, I'd like some clarification on what is considered a "regular strike" inflicting aggravated damage. Is a weapon that does ranged agg as a strike considered regular? What specific weapons wouldn't it work on?

Illegal Search and Seizure

Master. Burn a weapon that costs more than 2 pool or inflicts (with a regular strike) aggravated damage or more than 3 damage. The bearer of the weapon takes 1 damage. This damage cannot be prevented.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 04:40 by Cat_in_Exile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2018 06:13 #88231 by hollowboy
Illegal Search and Seizure would be OK in some decks, if it could burn Magnum 44 or Sniper Rifle.

www.vekn.net/general-rulings

Under "equipment"

- A weapon's "current damage" is the amount of damage that the weapon would inflict if used as a strike by bearer against a generic opponent
- A "regular strike" is unmodified, so would use the default strength.

A Poker wouldn't burn (even if every minion in play had Cold Iron Vulnerability) because jolly wee fairy vampires aren't generic opponents.

Ditto Blade of Enoch.

I assume Crimson Sentinel or Jar of Skin Eaters would only burn if they had counters on them, since they do only 2 and 0 damage without any counters.

I think everything else is based just off the obvious card text. The only tricksy thing is that "cost" means current or generic cost. That is, a Combat Shotgun is considered to cost 3 pool, even if it came into play for only 1 pool (e.g. via Black Cat playing Jack of Both Sides).

More
18 Jun 2018 07:31 #88233 by Cat_in_Exile
Sorry for being dense, but it wouldn't work on an ivory bow, for instance?

More
18 Jun 2018 07:35 #88234 by jamesatzephyr

That is, a Combat Shotgun is considered to cost 3 pool, even if it came into play for only 1 pool (e.g. via Black Cat playing Jack of Both Sides).

www.vekn.net/card-rulings/card-rulings-a-to-f
Black Cat:

The lower pool cost is used for the "cost" of equipment on her. [RTR 19941109]
If she is equipped with something and that equipment is transferred to another minion, then it regains its normal pool value. Conversely, if a piece of equipment moves onto her, its effective pool cost is lowered by 1. [RTR 19941109]

More
18 Jun 2018 07:38 #88235 by jamesatzephyr

Sorry for being dense, but it wouldn't work on an ivory bow, for instance?

Card text, split out:
Burn a weapon that:
a) costs more than 2 pool or
b) inflicts (with a regular strike) aggravated damage or
c) [inflicts (with a regular strike)] more than 3 damage.

Ivory Bow costs 1 pool, so it does not fulfill a.
Ivory Bow inflicts 1 damage with a regular strike, so it does not fulfill c.
Ivory Bow inflicts aggravated damage with a regular strike, so it fulfills b.

Why do you think it wouldn't work on Ivory Bow?

More
18 Jun 2018 07:42 - 18 Jun 2018 07:46 #88236 by Cat_in_Exile
It was the "so would use the default strength" of the general ruling for regular strikes that was confusing me, because the bow doesn't use strength.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 07:46 by Cat_in_Exile.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds