file Simple Blocking Question

04 Jul 2018 18:11 #88557 by CaptCastle
Howdy Kindred,

Apologies for the simple question, I did search but didn’t find anything. I am new to the game (well, I played a lot in the mid 90s and have just found all my cards and grabbed a few more in a trade) and after re-reading the rules I am confused about something.

Since the rules state the same minion can attempt to block again each time it fails, does that make stealth 0 actions pretty much impossible to sneak through with +Stealth action modifier cards? The blocking minion can fail, try again, fail, try again, fail, try again, until the acting minion eventually runs out of +Stealth cards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2018 18:22 - 04 Jul 2018 18:25 #88559 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Simple Blocking Question
Hello there, and welcome back!

Each time a minion attempts to block, you have to compare his intercept with the stealth of the acting minion. If the intercept is inferior to the stealth, the block fails (unless the blocking minion adds some intercept). When there is no more block attempts, the action resolves successfully.
The stealth bonuses and intercept bonuses last for the duration of the action, so attempting to block with someone else wouldn't reset the stealth to 0.

Here is an example:

Krid bleeds for 1. The action is at 0 stealth. Lupo, controlled by his prey Brad, attempts to block. Krid adds 1 stealth with a Lost in Crowd at inferior. Lupo is still attempting to block, but since his controller can't (or wouldn't) add intercept, Brad declines to block and the action resolves successfully. Brad loses 1 pool.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 18:25 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptCastle

More
04 Jul 2018 18:26 #88560 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Simple Blocking Question
CaptCastle, I think your confusion stems from this misunderstanding: Once a minion gains stealth, that stealth remains until the action has resolved. So while the blocking minion and make as many attempts as they want to try (and fail) to block, the action minion doesn't need to keep re-adding stealth for each block attempt - the stealth they added the first time is still there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptCastle

More
04 Jul 2018 18:26 #88561 by CaptCastle
Replied by CaptCastle on topic Simple Blocking Question
Thanks.

I think what I was missing was the fact that the Stealth of the action doesn’t reset to 0 after each failed block. Therefore if the first blocking minion fails, its unlikely an further minions will succeed!

I’ve made some (probably rubbish) decks and hope to rope some people into playing soon :)

More
04 Jul 2018 18:27 #88562 by CaptCastle
Replied by CaptCastle on topic Simple Blocking Question

CaptCastle, I think your confusion stems from this misunderstanding: Once a minion gains stealth, that stealth remains until the action has resolved. So while the blocking minion and make as many attempts as they want to try (and fail) to block, the action minion doesn't need to keep re-adding stealth for each block attempt - the stealth they added the first time is still there.

Jinx! :)

More
05 Jul 2018 10:35 - 05 Jul 2018 10:40 #88577 by Bloodartist

Thanks.

I think what I was missing was the fact that the Stealth of the action doesn’t reset to 0 after each failed block. Therefore if the first blocking minion fails, its unlikely an further minions will succeed!

I’ve made some (probably rubbish) decks and hope to rope some people into playing soon :)

Also remember that intercept and other effects gained during an action also stay until the action is over, similarly to stealth.

This is relevant with cards that "allow to continue action as if unblocked", like shadow body and form of mist.
If vampire A gets blocked by vampire B that was locked but used a wake (able to block as if unlocked),
vampire A plays shadow body (action continues as if unblocked but doesn't add stealth).
Vampire B still benefits from wake for the duration of this action (able to block as if unlocked) and can thus simply block again since there was no stealth added.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 05 Jul 2018 10:40 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds