file Orun + Barrenness [RTR]

19 Jul 2018 15:17 #89045 by Emaranhado
Hey all!

I've a doubt about rullings regarding Orun vs Barrenness. There are three cases, where two of them happened during the game and the third one didn't happened because I didn't wanted to spend another 30 minutes discussing rules without knowing the facts.
So, let's get on it!

First and foremost, the texts:

[Orun]
Master: Triffle
Put this card on a Laibon. For non-Orun cards played by Methuselahs other than this Laibon's controller, this Laibon is considered to have 2 additional capacity. A Laibon gets an additional vote for every three Orun he or she has. If this Laibon successfully bleeds for more than 2 or successfully performs a (D) action against a non-mortal minion, he or she burns one Orun. Burn this card if this Laibon has more Orun and Aye than his or her capacity.

[Barrenness]
Action. Burn Option. Maleficia
+1 stealth action.
[mal] (D) Put this card on a vampire and untap this acting vampire. This vampire is sterile and his or her capacity decreases by 2 (to a minimum of 1.) [mal] is not a Discipline.
[MAL] (D) Burn a vampire whose capacity is 1.

What happened was:

1)
- I had [Lucian, the Perfect] on my ready region, with one [Orun].
- My prey played [Barrenness] on him.
- I explain that, for non-Orun cards played by other players than me, this laibon is considered having 2 additional capacity.
- We scratch our heads when calculating Lucian's actual capacity.
- What we defined after some time was:
"When played, Lucian had (illusory?) a capacity of 13. So now, [Barrenness] makes me go to 11 (which I already had)." So, no changes for me (Lucian's controller).

This is the first thing I wanted to confirm.
If any laibon has more than one [Orun] on him, one Barrenness shouldn't make a difference for the controller of the affected minion, because [Orun] has this weird thing where only I know the real capacity of the vampire, and I surely don't control the [Barrenness] played on him.

2)
- I had [Nana Buruku] on my ready region, without any [Orun] on her.
- My prey played [Barrenness] on Nana. Nana is now at 6-capacity and loses 2 blood (because she was full).
- On my turn, I play [Orun] on her.
- What we defined was:
"Since the [Barrennes] was already in play, the declared amount of capacity would remain reduced, since [Orun] does not increase the capacity of the laibon."

This is easy to understand but, again, is kinda nice to know the rule.

3)
This is purely hypothetical now, but I had Orun enough on my hand to make it happen:

- I have [Nana Buruku] on my ready reagion with 0 [Orun] cards and 1 [Barrenness]
- I play 3 [Orun] cards on her.
- My prey plays [Barrenness] again.

Now, using the first argument, I would say that, for non-Orun cards played by other methuselahs, Nana is considered a 12-capacity vampire. When the controller of [Barrenness] tells me the actual capacity of the vampire, he tells me "10" capacity.
For me, nothing has changed, since my prey tells me the capacity of [Nana Buruku] has been "decreased to 10".
But, for some reason, I have this creeping feeling that [Nana Buruku] should be at least at 8 capacity again or, at most, a 10-capacity (and [Barrenness] would effectively increase my capacity, because it is a card that effectivelly changes the capacity of a vampire).
For this exact reason I did not played any other Orun on her. I wouldn't be able to tell what the hell would happen in this case.

I really do enjoy the Orun/Aye mechanics, but this aspect of the mechanic still eludes me.

Have a good one, ppl!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2018 15:54 #89048 by kschaefer
Replied by kschaefer on topic Orun + Barrenness [RTR]
Only the superior effect checks the capacity of the target vampire and that is the only effect subject to Orun's "extra" capacity.

More
19 Jul 2018 15:58 #89049 by Emaranhado
Replied by Emaranhado on topic Orun + Barrenness [RTR]

Only the superior effect checks the capacity of the target vampire and that is the only effect subject to Orun's "extra" capacity.

Could you explain it a bit more? Because I see the check when the text says "To a minimum of one".
Also, does that mean that the affected minion loses blood?

More
19 Jul 2018 16:01 #89050 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic Orun + Barrenness [RTR]
Assuming designer intent, Barrenness should ignore Orun on basic and only be affected on superior.
Anything else would be madness, no?
I gotta hand it to you: good question.

More
19 Jul 2018 16:11 #89051 by kschaefer
Replied by kschaefer on topic Orun + Barrenness [RTR]

Could you explain it a bit more? Because I see the check when the text says "To a minimum of one".

That is a parenthetical and can be removed. It's reminder text that you cannot reduce a vampires capacity below 1. It doesn't cause a check, just reminds you of the minimum result possible.

More
19 Jul 2018 16:18 #89052 by Emaranhado
Replied by Emaranhado on topic Orun + Barrenness [RTR]

That is a parenthetical and can be removed. It's reminder text that you cannot reduce a vampires capacity below 1. It doesn't cause a check, just reminds you of the minimum result possible.

What about possible blood losses?
I mean, if it doesn't cause a check, on my mind that means that every object in play remains unchanged. That would not cause the capacity (actual or virtual) to be calculated (until the need for a check) and would not cause blood to be lost.
Sorry for being too insistent on it, but I when I look at it, I correlates it with receiving a Master Discipline, for example, where you the card tells you that your capacity increases and you have another slot for blood.
It does not require a check to apply the effect of the new capacity (or at least, I don't see how it does).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds