question-circle How do you deal with people leaving the table before ousted

06 Aug 2018 23:40 - 06 Aug 2018 23:45 #89722 by Boris The Blade
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that.. Even without leaving the table, this can actually be a decent strategy against a dumb rusher, so this is the one case where the game is pretty much undisturbed by the player leaving.

Bottom line: do not rush your prey into oblivion with no idea of how to get rid of their pool.

That is also why arbitrarily removing 4 pool per turn is bad idea: it creates an incentive for toxic players to aim for ragequit as an ousting mechanism.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2018 23:45 by Boris The Blade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus, ScoundrelAtHeart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2018 10:53 - 07 Aug 2018 11:01 #89743 by Bloodartist

You got really, really upset because you didn't ask the judge to provide a proxy card so you could go home? That's really odd. Were you temporarily robbed of all powers of communication?

It wasn't a tournament. It was a casual game. Part of why I got so angry. In a tournament anything goes and I don't hold it against you, in a casual game I'd expect people to play slightly more relaxed. There are certain people who endeavour to destroy others enjoyment of the game as much as possible. (Not in this case though. It was a series of unfortunate events.) Which is why I campaign against game rules that allow that. You shouldn't write rules on the premise that people will be "nice". VTES already has a ton of cards that make players life really miserable. (Gehenna events are almost all like this.)

ps. The doubleposting issue seems to have returned..

No rule forces you to sit at a table. You can leave any time (which usually means that you are disqualified from the tournament). It is not restricted to VTES, but basically any game with more than 2 players.

This is incorrect. The play-to-win rule basically does so. You are not playing to win when you are self-ousting, yes/no? Exactly what constitutes as "Play to win" is somewhat recurring discussion over here. I have self-ousted a number of times in our casual games, which usually sparks complaints about "not playing to win". My personal opinion in those cases has been "yea I go against the rules but fuck you".

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 11:01 by Bloodartist.

More
07 Aug 2018 11:17 #89746 by Kraus

This is incorrect. The play-to-win rule basically does so.

Play-to-win doesn't physically force you to sit there. Thus, you go against the rules and get disqualified. But you're free to go home and do something else.

You're not forced to have a hobby. But if you decide to have it, it would be preferable if you played by the rules, both printed and socially accepted.

My personal opinion in those cases has been "yea I go against the rules but fuck you".

This doesn't seem to me like a good way to have fun with people on your free time.

I mean, you're there to have fun and share some of that fun, aren't you?

Aren't you?

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Khalid1988

More
07 Aug 2018 12:25 #89754 by jamesatzephyr

You got really, really upset because you didn't ask the judge to provide a proxy card so you could go home? That's really odd. Were you temporarily robbed of all powers of communication?

It wasn't a tournament. It was a casual game. Part of why I got so angry.

Then your issues are nothing to do with V:TES, nor the play-to-win rules, neither of which result in you having to sit there once you're ousted and you want to get the train home (or whatever). Nothing can stop people being idiots, in any game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
07 Aug 2018 13:05 #89764 by beslin igor

Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that.. Even without leaving the table, this can actually be a decent strategy against a dumb rusher, so this is the one case where the game is pretty much undisturbed by the player leaving.

Bottom line: do not rush your prey into oblivion with no idea of how to get rid of their pool.

That is also why arbitrarily removing 4 pool per turn is bad idea: it creates an incentive for toxic players to aim for ragequit as an ousting mechanism.

I said if player quit from table,him is dissapointed,so him dont want to act,dont want to block and other stuff,and if him be in game and continue to play him only think how die as before posible,and when player quit from game this is bad for all players who continue to play,rage quit player just bothered on the table,for that i said,he try kill him self and during influence make 4 transfers and try self oust,well we can said this rule can be stoped when him be down in 2 pool,and these last 2 pool prey must kill. is not big problem if player quit with example,4 or maybe 5 pool,but hapen to people leave with 15 pool,what then? his prey and predator can do many things that he might be blocking if him be in the game.
example: me prey quit(him have some chance to gain intercept),me predator dont have intercept,so i can make army of horde,war ghoul,nephandus....,but if me prey remove as before posible,next prey have chance to block,and stop me to make army,more time people complain about this example. so if you dont want to play,kill you self and let other people to play game!

More
07 Aug 2018 13:34 - 07 Aug 2018 13:38 #89768 by Bloodartist

Play-to-win doesn't physically force you to sit there. Thus, you go against the rules and get disqualified. But you're free to go home and do something else.

This is by the way first time someone interprets this rule like this, during the time I have played, here in Helsinki. I wonder why people still keep complaining about self-ousting regularly then? Apparently it is not clear enough what this rule means. I don't remember it being mentioned in the rules that you are allowed to self-oust.

Btw at the time of the incident I was basically a new player, thus following what I was told by the more experienced players. Nobody suggested proxying the montreal. Really good recruitment tactic btw, stealing all my vampires so I have no input on the game, forcing me to sit there for an hour doing nothing, then after being finally ousted sitting there another hour waiting for the return of my montreal. If you want to drive away new players some people really have this technique down pat.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 13:38 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds