file Grotesque requirements

06 Aug 2018 01:20 #89680 by WrenchyIV
“When played choose a location you control not chosen for a Grotesque. Remove this card from the game if you no longer control the location.”

Does this mean that you have to control a location when Grotesque is played or he’ll automatically remove from play, or if you don’t control a location this requirement is ignored?

Thank you in advance for clarification.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2018 05:50 - 06 Aug 2018 05:51 #89683 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Grotesque requirements
groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/7WMTDRsQP5k/XOJxb6xfdgkJ

The Grotesque enters play. You fail to choose a location. The Grotesque removes itself from the game.

But I agree: it could be more explicit.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 06 Aug 2018 05:51 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ratadin

More
06 Aug 2018 08:40 #89690 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic Grotesque requirements
I thought that if you could not fulfill or set the terms of a card you were not allowed to play it?
Can you play the rack with no ready minions?

More
06 Aug 2018 11:35 #89692 by jamesatzephyr

I thought that if you could not fulfill or set the terms of a card you were not allowed to play it?

At the time LSJ gave that ruling, flipping a full vampire into play wasn't voluntary. (Transferring blood to them was. Flipping not.) With the recent rules change to make flipping voluntary, it is more arguable that Grotesque can't enter play if you can't meet its requirements.

Can you play the rack with no ready minions?

No.

More
06 Aug 2018 15:41 #89694 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic Grotesque requirements
I guess it’s different for crypt cards. I wasn’t thinking it through.

More
06 Aug 2018 16:55 - 06 Aug 2018 16:58 #89697 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Grotesque requirements
Thanks for pointing out the interaction with the new rule. For now, you cannot "play" the Grotesque if you cannot fulfill the choice (that is a location not already chosen by another Grotesque). It is similar to The Rack when you control no ready vampire.

If an effect forces you to put the Grotesque into play, then LSJ's ruling applies (Undue Influence at [qui] for instance)

BUT this is true only until the Grotesque is reprinted in HttB bundles (really soon), since his new text will be:

Camarilla: As this Grotesque enters play, choose a location you control not chosen for a Grotesque. Remove this Grotesque from the game if you no longer control the location. Flight [FLIGHT]. Tremere slave. Non-unique.

Which makes it in line with War Ghoul or Bima. Upon reprint, you will be able to play the Grotesque (as you could when it was released) and it will burn if you don't control a suitable location (and a clarification such as Bima's could have been a clever thing to do).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 06 Aug 2018 16:58 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds