file Problems with the judge system

18 Aug 2018 15:05 #90097 by Khalid1988
One problem that I realized in judging the unsportsmanlike behavior in VTES is that plenty of rudeness and bullying gets justified as being ok as "table hate". I think these cases are something that judges should be more aware of. Cases when people aren't playing to win or working on punishing a proper table threat but are instead just being obnoxious should be looked at with a more critical eye rather than trying to be justified as being ok.

Prince of Tikkurila, known as Teemu P in Lackey CCG
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2018 17:45 #90122 by Lönkka
I think you are making a scene out of something that isn't really a problem.

We've been in MANY a same tournament during the years (quite a lot of them run be me too) with the exception of the past 3,5 years when I really haven't been able to attend and I just don't recognize the problem.

Neither do I remember you ever raising a voice regarding this during those tournaments. Or after them.

Yes, the judges definitely should be aware of this and plenty of other things to boot, but I just don't see this as a noticeable problem.

When I started running tournaments I decided to take a stand about slow play, but never actually needed to do anything about it during the games. Or at least anything more serious than had previously been done.

No need to try to see the bogeyman where there ain't one.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Aug 2018 17:56 #90126 by Khalid1988
Admittedly the issue isn't a major one but I just felt like I should address the matter because in my opinion the mentality in games has changed over last few years for the worse and I thought maybe improving the judge system to address cases where people would act in a way that would sour the mood in the game.

VEKN forums are sort of wild west territory which is why I have not spoken of the matter before but I thought it was finally time to mention it.

File Attachment:

More
19 Aug 2018 18:02 - 19 Aug 2018 18:42 #90127 by Khalid1988
Also I'd say people causing problems tend to be very often same individuals. So maybe it's just in their mental state to act in unsportsmanlike way. Where I guess not much can be done about it. As unfortunate as it is.

Sorry for making it an issue.

File Attachment:
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 18:42 by Khalid1988.

More
19 Aug 2018 21:15 #90133 by Lönkka
I've seen zero mentions so far before this.
Not here, not Facebook, not in personal messages of various kinds nor any mention in personal F2F discussions. With or by anybody.

No names mentioned except that it seems to center around same individuals. (feel free to drop me a confidential email about this so I can assess the situation -heck, I'm all riled up about someone repeatedly undermining the traditionally easygoing, relaxed and casual atmosphere we've had in Finland).

Sure I know plenty of people who like to psych people up during the tournaments. But playing the mental game is part of the VTES too. Some people are loudmouths by nature too (not naming anyone but... well who the eff am I kidding? Take Otto for example, certainly one of the biggest pottymouths in the game but unsportsmanshiplike behavior -nope!)

If you feel like someone is violating the rules in a tournament it is up to you to ask judge to be present and the judge will decide if any penalties are in order, most likely, especially for misdemeanor of this magnitude, starting with low ones and, if repeated, increasing severity.

No amount of guidelines is going to solve this kind of matter but only make it easier to skirt the rules/guides. There is already plenty of leeway for the judge to interfere with unsportsmanlike behavior.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Khalid1988

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
19 Aug 2018 21:19 #90134 by Lönkka
Also, no need to get all Judge Dredd on anyone's ass...

Even though the perp's line in the pic is appropriate

Attachments:

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds