file Allies and vampire disciplines (Specifically the Nocturn)

27 Sep 2018 21:56 #90803 by desmondkenny
Hi all

A rules question (or clarification really, pretty sure I have this right)

When an Ally has the ability to play a discipline card, if it costs blood, will it cost them life?

Take the Nocturn for instance - 1 life Demon with basic Obtenebration. There aren't many Obtenebration cards that don't cost blood (a dodge, a press to end, a maneuver, +1 intercept, inflict 1 damage action, +1 stealth on a non-bleed action).

Now that's fine, gives you some utility. But here's the follow up

If a card costs 1 blood, does the Nocturn pay in life - and if that's the case (ie, burn one life for +1 stealth during a bleed), will the action be successful before it dies? Similarly, if it burns 1 blood for, say, Shadow Strike, when will it die? Will it get to strike if it uses it at the strike stage - or if it uses it earlier for the maneuver will it still be alive to strike? I'm assuming it dies immediately so it would all be futile

Happy for any input, looked through the rules and couldn't quite figure it out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2018 02:05 - 28 Sep 2018 02:07 #90805 by ReverendRevolver
I've seen Nocturn play Shadow Twin. I've had more luck with them not playing :obt: with them. Using Weighted walking Stick and/or Target Vitals is a funny Surprise.

I suppose if some crazy scenario popped up where Unmasking was in play and 1 single Nocturn had to stop 2 bleeds to keep you alive you could block, Arms of the Abyss, then On the Qui Vive to block again. But most of the time it's a waste of a dodge, unless you really need to cycle cards.

For combat, it dies, so not much :obt: would matter. If you play a blood coating modifier, it dies, so the action fizzles.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2018 02:07 by ReverendRevolver.

More
28 Sep 2018 06:34 - 28 Sep 2018 06:35 #90809 by Ankha

Hi all

A rules question (or clarification really, pretty sure I have this right)

When an Ally has the ability to play a discipline card, if it costs blood, will it cost them life?

See www.vekn.net/rulebook#1.6.3.minioncards

Some allies have the ability to play certain cards "as a vampire." In these cases, the ally is treated as a vampire for all effects generated by the play of the card, including duration effects (like "for the remainder of combat"). The ally's life represents his blood (to pay costs, for example). Any blood he gains or loses as a vampire equates to a gain or loss of life for the ally. For purposes of that card, the ally has a capacity of 1 by default (for use if the card requires an older vampire or a vampire of a given capacity). If the ally gains life in excess of his capacity, it doesn't drain off, and if the effect inflicts aggravated damage on the ally, he burns life as normal. However, if the effect would send the ally to torpor, then he is burned instead. The ally is treated as a vampire only for the effect generated from playing the card. In particular, the ally is not treated as a vampire for effects the card has from being in play (like "the vampire with this card" effects).

If a card costs 1 blood, does the Nocturn pay in life - and if that's the case (ie, burn one life for +1 stealth during a bleed), will the action be successful before it dies?

Not if it burns its last life during the action, to pay an action modifier for instance.

Similarly, if it burns 1 blood for, say, Shadow Strike, when will it die? Will it get to strike if it uses it at the strike stage - or if it uses it earlier for the maneuver will it still be alive to strike? I'm assuming it dies immediately so it would all be futile

The Nocturn plays the card to declare the strike, pays its costs, and burns because it has no life. Combat ends here.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 28 Sep 2018 06:35 by Ankha.

More
01 Oct 2018 20:11 - 01 Oct 2018 20:14 #90891 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple

The Nocturn plays the card to declare the strike, pays its costs, and burns because it has no life. Combat ends here.

I'm confused by this interaction, comparing with the Bima ruling for actions: groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/bima$20card$20cost%7Csort:date/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/z2DGSFph6sM/IjJB89nbtlsJ

In the case of an action, the cost is paid at the time of resolution (not at time of declaration) as outlined in the rulebook. I've seen players oust their prey and themselves simultaneously because of this ruling, declaring the ousting bleed with Lorrie Dunsirn while both players sit at 1 pool - and we cited that Bima rule as the reason it worked.

Extending that logic, I thought that card costs were paid when the effect resolved (or failed to, in the case of a few cancellation effects). If that logic followed, the Nocturn would pay for the strike card in the strike resolution phase (assuming the strike is only a strike, not a strike plus some other earlier-in-the-round thing) and its effect should then be handled.

Instead, I see a statement that the cost payment window is different (declaration vs resolution) for at least some cards other than actions. Is there a source ruling for payment as declared? I'll need it for my playgroup....this kinda of stuff comes up a lot with Bill Troxel sits at one's table.

Thanks.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2018 20:14 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple.

More
01 Oct 2018 20:28 #90894 by Klaital
Strike cards are paid when the strike card is played, like for example, if you strike with entombment and the opponent plays majesty, you still pay the cost for the entombment even though the strike never resolves. If you manuever to long with Shadow Strike you pay the cost when you play it for the manuever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TryDeflectingThisGrapple

More
01 Oct 2018 21:26 - 01 Oct 2018 21:27 #90896 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
Hmmm, fair enough - I overlooked the whole "play for your strike despite my S:CE" thing as I got hung up on the stupid Bima ruling,

Parsing that POS has been a thorn in my side since it was issued.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2018 21:27 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds