file Does Eccentric Billionaire combo with Summon History (when summoning equipment)?

02 Oct 2018 14:03 #90907 by Soonerborn
Greetings all, this came up recently in a discussion and we just wanted to get the official ruling.
If Eccentric Billionaire is in play (via Summon History), can it be tapped to reduce the cost of an equipment card being put in play also via Summon History?

Related texts:

Summon History at inferior:
[tem] Search your library (shuffle afterwards) and/or ash heap for an ally, retainer or equipment whose cost is X or less and put that card in play (on this vampire and with starting life from the bank as needed).

Eccentric Billionaire:
Billionaire may tap to reduce the cost of an equipment or location you or any of your minions play by 1 pool. Only one Billionaire may be used to reduce the cost of a given card.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 14:12 #90908 by Soonerborn
FWIW my stance is/was that you cannot reduce the (blood) cost of an equipment being summoned by tapping the Billionaire, since EB states it reduces pool cost. But again just looking for the official ruling.

More
02 Oct 2018 14:59 #90909 by Klaital
You can't because you are not 'playing' the equipment, just putting it into play (which lets you get around things normally associated with equipping such as requirements and cost) Your not paying anything from the equipment in the first place also so even if it would work, it wouldn't do anything.

More
02 Oct 2018 15:15 - 02 Oct 2018 15:22 #90910 by Soonerborn
OK I see you're making a distinction between playing and "put that card in play".

I agree with your assessment (not a legal play) but based on who's paying; the minion is paying a blood cost, consequently the methuselah is not paying pool cost (which in my mind negates the use of EB and other 'tap to reduce pool cost cards').

Different from say, concealed weapon, which does combo with EB.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 15:22 by Soonerborn.

More
02 Oct 2018 15:27 #90911 by Soonerborn
And the reason I'm stating it this way is to make the distinction between Summon History and, for example, Pier 13 of Baltimore which does combo with 'tap to reduce pool cost' cards and minions like Marie Faucigny or Black Cat...

More
02 Oct 2018 16:56 #90913 by Klaital
You are not 'paying' anything for the equipment you get with summon history, you only pay for the cost of the summon history action, which is completely unrelated to the equipment.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds