file Infernal Pursuit and Aura Reading

31 Oct 2018 18:05 - 31 Oct 2018 18:07 #91618 by Killiam
Scenario:

Let’s say that my hand size is 7, I control Anneke, and she is in combat. Before range is determined, she plays three Infernal Pursuits, replacing, drawing extras and then returning to a hand of 7 cards after the dust settles. Then she plays Aura Reading at superior.

In what order do I: A- draw to replace Aura Reading, B- draw from the Infernal Pursuit effects, C- draw to increase my hand size from Aura Reading, and D- discard down to hand size?

Also, what is my /effective/ hand size at the time I am doing D? By “effective hand size” I mean hand size minus any number of slots that would be counting against hand size. In other words, what am I discarding down to at discard time for D?

I think the order would be A B D C, discarding down to 7 before drawing up to a new hand size of 9, but I’m not sure.

Thanks Much!

Infernal Pursuit
Combat
[cel] Press.
[CEL] For the remainder of the combat, each time you replace a card (including when you draw to replace this card), draw an additional card and discard down to your hand size.

Aura Reading
Combat
Only usable before range is chosen.
[aus] The opposing minion's controller plays with an open hand for the remainder of combat.
[AUS] You get +2 hand size for the remainder of this combat. A vampire can play only one Aura Reading at superior each combat.

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"I look back from where I'm from
Look at the woman I've become
And the strangest things seem
Suddenly routine"
-Hedwig Robinson
Last edit: 31 Oct 2018 18:07 by Killiam. Reason: Changed formatting of letter signifiers because an emoji was appearing for B followed by )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2018 19:09 #91619 by DJHedgehog
My guess is you draw to replace using the infernal text, then go to plus 2 after you discard down.

Based on reading the cards so I'm probably wrong.

More
02 Nov 2018 03:31 #91643 by ReverendRevolver
Kinda curious how this stacks:
Drawing to replace cards is immediate, so that's the window for IP. But as of playing it the effect could come along. So the +6-3 could happen all at once, in that window you replace AR.

I'm not certain.

More
02 Nov 2018 03:44 #91645 by Boris The Blade
From the detailed play summary, resolution happens before replacement. So the way I understand it:

1) Aura Reading resolves, which triggers drawing 2 cards, which triggers IP. Discard down to 8 while resolving IP.
2) Replace Aura Reading, triggering IP again. Discard down to 9 while resolving IP.

More
02 Nov 2018 19:15 #91649 by Killiam
So clearly there is no consensus on this. Sounds like we will need a ruling from the rules team. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that replacing to hand size is "fast" enough of an effect that it can occur between sequential steps of a card effect. I recently received a ruling that when you play Sudario Refraction as the last card remaining in your hand with an empty library that you end up with an empty hand afterwards, because you put 3 on top of your library, then draw back up to satisfy hand size, then discard 3 (at random).

Sudario Refraction
Action
Giovanni
+1 stealth action.
Choose three cards in your ash heap by name and move them to the top of your library. Then discard three cards at random from your hand (and draw up to your hand size afterward).

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"I look back from where I'm from
Look at the woman I've become
And the strangest things seem
Suddenly routine"
-Hedwig Robinson

More
02 Nov 2018 20:49 - 02 Nov 2018 20:52 #91650 by DJHedgehog
My thought here comes from the parenthetical on Infernal Pursuit that specifies that the effect applies to the card drawn after playing the card. That specificity would mean to me that you would normally draw a card to replace and then the card's effect would take hold.

EDIT: Immediately is a term I really dislike as part of this game. See: Cat's Guidance.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2018 20:52 by DJHedgehog. Reason: Wanted to complaint a little extra about the game.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds