file Discussion: Card costs and presentation

09 Dec 2018 20:07 - 16 Dec 2018 10:31 #92311 by jblacey
Salvador Garcia
:bruj:
Capacity: 7
Group: 4
Independent anarch: While Salvador is ready, cards requiring an anarch cost you and anarchs you control 1 less blood or pool.

Rant!
:modifier:
Requires a ready anarch. Only usable during a referendum before any votes and ballots are cast.
During this referendum, each ready anarch may burn 1 blood to gain 1 additional vote. If the referendum fails, this acting vampire takes 2 unpreventable damage.

Circumstance: My ready anarch, calls a KRC (or any vote for that matter).

My assumption is that my ready Anarchs during a referendum, pay 1 less blood for "Rant!" while Salvador Garcia is ready. Effectively 0 blood for 1 vote. Correct?

Modedit\\ Changed the topic name to properly reflect discussion.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2018 10:31 by Kraus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2018 20:40 #92312 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Rant! + Salvador Garcia
Burn blood is not a cost. So his special doesn't kick in here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Ankha

More
09 Dec 2018 20:49 #92313 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Rant! + Salvador Garcia
Maybe I am being obtuse. But how is it not a cost? Can an anarch with 0 zero, attempt to burn a blood, not be able to, and still get the vote? I would think not, but you are telling me it isn't a cost.

More
09 Dec 2018 21:13 #92315 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Rant! + Salvador Garcia
his special only reduces the cost to play Rant! and doesnt affect the vote gaining part of the card.

More
09 Dec 2018 21:44 #92317 by jamesatzephyr

Maybe I am being obtuse. But how is it not a cost?

The lingering effect Rant creates has a burn blood requirement that you must meet. However, that's not the cost of the card, and it's the card that costs one less blood or pool, by card text.

Along similar lines, Dragos ("Dragos does not have to burn blood to pay the cost of combat cards he plays.") has to burn a blood to get the effect of superior Chiropteran Marauder, because the "This vampire burns 1 blood to make the damage from his or her hand strikes aggravated for the current round." text is not part of the cost of the card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
09 Dec 2018 22:15 #92319 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Rant! + Salvador Garcia

Maybe I am being obtuse. But how is it not a cost?

The lingering effect Rant creates has a burn blood requirement that you must meet. However, that's not the cost of the card, and it's the card that costs one less blood or pool, by card text.

Along similar lines, Dragos ("Dragos does not have to burn blood to pay the cost of combat cards he plays.") has to burn a blood to get the effect of superior Chiropteran Marauder, because the "This vampire burns 1 blood to make the damage from his or her hand strikes aggravated for the current round." text is not part of the cost of the card.

So generally, most card mechanics are either cost or effect. We have a ruling on costs from LSJ. He said if the cost of a card is negated then the effect is negated. However if part of an effect is negated and it will not negate the whole effect.

So burn a blood for a vote is part of the effect, similarly Dragos' text only applies to costs, not effects.

By that reasoning, the opposite is also true. If a card prevents a vampire from burning blood for a cost, it would not effect the superior text of Chiropteran Marauder or Rant!

Is that correct?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds