file Discussion: clear and consistent wording templates

12 Feb 2019 15:55 - 12 Feb 2019 16:54 #93431 by TwoRazorReign

I disagree that it wouldn't be clearer. The existence of the punctuation (the colon) is absolutely crucial for the MtG template to work. Whenever the template is used, the colon is included, so there is a visual cue that a template is being used. The "Tap X to do Y" template does not have a similar visual cue, so it's not always clear to the reader that a template with specific functions is being used.

MtG is another game with a majority of triggered effects. It's logical that triggered effects are emphasized. It would be weird to do the same in V:TES since they are very few effects such as these.

I think you may have misunderstood my point here. I’m not suggesting that current templates should change in order to emphasize anything. I’m saying using a template that structures the text around consistent punctuation helps the reader understand that a template is being used, which may be important in the case of “Tap X to do Y” because this template also involves a rule (you can only “tap to” once during something). Therefore, people need to be able to easily recognize when the template is being used. This is difficult in the case of “Tap X to do Y” because only the words “Tap” and “to” are consistency included, and there’s no other visual cue like a colon. Any number of words can be included in addition to “Tap” and “to”. The point I’m trying to make is if this template also consistently included punctuation that acted as a visual cue, such as a colon, the reader would recognize it more readily than if they had to wade through text describing complex effects to find “tap” and “to,” with any number of intervening words in between.

In addition, the colon forces the card to not "mix up
other text" and deviate too far from the template, as is often the case with "Tap X to do Y".

This is false. Can you point out cases where the "tap ... to ..." template is not consistent?

Sure. Dreams of the Sphinx is a good example of the type of inconsistency I am talking about (which I realize may be different than the type of inconsistency you thought I may have been referring to). Let’s look at each sentence.

Tap this card to get +2 hand size until the end of the current turn.

Note in this first sentence, it is clarified what is being tapped by naming the object (“this card”) in the independent clause (“[you] Tap this card”). Also note that there is an infinitive verb that contains a word crucial to understanding if the template is being used (“to” in “to get”) connecting the independent clause with an infinitive phrase (“+ 1 hand size…”).

Tap during your untap phase to gain an additional pool if you have the Edge.

Now, this sentence drops the object in the independent clause (“this card,”) and in its place includes a modifying prepositional phrase indicating when to tap the card (“during your untap phase”). So now there is an independent clause with words left out (“tap [this card]”), an intervening prepositional phrase, and an infinitive verb that contains a word crucial to understanding if the template is being used (“to” in the infinitive verb “to gain”) connecting the previous clauses to an infinitive phrase (“an additional pool…”). Here, the reader is tasked to decipher that inclusion of "during" means one template that uses "Tap...to" is being used over the other template that uses "Tap...to"

Tap to move a blood from the bank to a vampire in your uncontrolled region.

Once again, “this card” is dropped; then, there’s the infinitive verb that contains a word crucial to understanding if the template is being used (“to” in “to move”) connecting to an infinitive phrase (“a blood from the bank)”, which now appears before a prepositional phrase (“to a vampire…”) Another thing of note about this sentence: the word “to” appears twice. This means the reader is now tasked with trying to decipher if one of the instances of “to” means that they can only get this effect once.

All sentences look like they are using the same template, but 2 different templates are being used.

Bottom line: “Tap X to do Y” breaks some rules when it comes to templates, the major sin being that any one instance of the template used in practice does not include a parallel sentence structure with another instance. Given that the only clues the reader has to determine if the template is being used is the inclusion of the words “tap” and “to,” parallelism in the way sentences are structured among all cards may help the reader to spot these words, and, therefore, spot the template. Adding punctuation, like a colon, may help add a visual cue for the reader. It’s important to remember that readers of these cards are supposed to recognize when the template is used because there is a specific rule attached to it (you can only “tap to” once during something).

I hope this clarifies what I mean when I say the template is not consistent and the resulting issues that readers may experience.

Whoever developed the "Tap X do Y" template really did not understand that templates are used to provide consistency and structure to the text, first and foremost, so that the reader can understand the rules. It's not meant to be a rule in itself ("do this whenever this template is used")

This is the case. The usage of "tap ... to ..." is consistent and provides structure to the text. I understand it's not written the way you'd like it to be written, but that's another subject to which I answered in my previous post. For instance, usage of a colon could get mixed up with strikes that use colons.

It’s not really a matter of personal preference. There are definite issues with the “Tap X to do Y” template from an editorial standpoint, as outlined above. I also think use of a colon in instances other than “strike:” is not as problematic as you seem to think it is. But my post here isn’t really about adding a colon to this particular template; maybe a colon indeed won’t work. It’s more about pointing out how the MtG template mentioned previously used punctuation to its advantage in terms of structuring the template so that instances on different cards would be parallel, whereas “Tap X to do Y” does nothing at all like this. I suggest it may be time to look into reorganizing the “Tap X to do Y” template for consistent sentence structure on cards so the reader can more easily spot when the template is being used.

Modedit\\ As said, card templating warrants a topic of it's own, and clutters the rule book discussion needlessly.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2019 16:54 by TwoRazorReign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2019 16:33 #93433 by TwoRazorReign
It's about the rulebook. Specifically:

“During X, do Y”: The “during X do Y” template is used in several cards. When this template is used, only one Y can be done per X with this card. For instance, you may move blood from your vampire to your pool with Vessel only once per unlock phase.

“Lock X to do Y”: Some cards use this wording, for instance: superior Bauble, Isanwayen. Such effects can’t be used by locked minions, even by those under a wake effect. These effects require an unlocked minion to be used. Conversely, “Lock X. Do Y” effects (for instance: Redirection) are usable by locked minions under a wake effect.

More
12 Feb 2019 18:44 - 12 Feb 2019 18:46 #93439 by Kraus
Neverthless, this topic might take more posts and longer discussion than just listing it as a 'mistake', which would be the basic intent of the Rule Book Feedback thread . Not to clutter that thread further, you are welcome to continue with templating as a whole in this separate thread.

Carry on!

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 12 Feb 2019 18:46 by Kraus.

More
12 Feb 2019 19:12 #93441 by 2wayspeaker

Can you point out cases where the "tap ... to ..." template is not consistent?

The usage of "tap ... to ..." is consistent and provides structure to the text.

www.vekn.net/rulebook
11 - SPECIAL TERMS
Wording Template:
“Lock X to do Y”: Some cards use this wording, for instance: superior Bauble, Isanwayen. Such effects can’t be used by locked minions, even by those under a wake effect. These effects require an unlocked minion to be used. Conversely, “Lock X. Do Y” effects (for instance: Redirection) are usable by locked minions under a wake effect.

The rule that is supposed to say how "Lock X to do Y" and "Lock X. Do Y." templates work is nicely hidden away in an addendum.

The idea of costs and effects is quite simple but when we look at the cards and rulings it becomes anything but. The cards don't say "do x to do y". They have every possible ham fisted variation.

It is very hard to even find Lock X To Do Y . Most of them are variations on this. And the argument isn't even that Lock X To Do Y isn't consistent with itself when it is applied. It is that templating is non-existant for the other 50% of cards.

Let's play a quick game:
Try to get these to fit a template, then decide how they work.
Answer for each the template used and if you can play them locked.
  • Lock one of your prey's ready minions and place a corruption counter on that minion.
  • Tap this vampire. This vampire enters combat with the blocking minion.
  • Put this card on any untapped vampire. Tap that vampire; he or she does not untap as normal during his or her controller's untap phase.
  • Burn 1 blood on an untapped vampire and tap that vampire.
  • Tap this reacting vampire. Choose another Methuselah other than the controller of the acting minion. The acting minion is now bleeding that Methuselah. As above, but do not tap this vampire.
  • This Laibon may burn a blood and tap three of his or her Aye to be able to play reaction cards and attempt to block as if untapped for the current action.
  • Tap a ready minion and untap this acting vampire.
  • Tap to give a vampire you control +1 intercept for the current action.
  • Tap a ready minion. This acting vampire inflicts 1 unpreventable damage on that minion.
  • During your untap phase, you may tap up to 2 vampires controlled by your prey or burn an equipment on one of your prey's minions. If you do so, your prey takes control of the Anarch Troublemaker.
  • Tap any untapped minion, and that minion burns 1 blood or life.
  • Reduce a bleed against you by 2, or tap to reduce a bleed against any Methuselah by 2.
  • Only usable when this Baali successfully blocks an ally or a younger vampire.
    Tap this Baali and end the action (with no combat). This Baali inflicts 1 unpreventable damage on the acting minion and each of his or her retainers.
  • Burn a haven on an ally or younger vampire, or tap an ally or younger vampire. As above, and inflict 1 damage on that minion.
  • Tap a younger vampire and put this card on that vampire; you still control this card. This vampire does not untap as normal.
  • The action fails. Tap this reacting vampire. As above, and the acting minion does not untap as normal during his or her next untap phase.
  • Put this card on a ready minion and tap that minion. This minion cannot play cards or cast votes or ballots. This minion does not untap as normal.
  • Tap this Gangrel antitribu. This Gangrel antitribu enters combat with the opposing minion.
  • Tap any ready minion. As above, and that minion burns 1 blood.
  • Only usable by a ready, untapped vampire. Usable when an ally you control is blocked, before combat begins. The combat is canceled; untap the acting minion and tap this modifying vampire. This vampire enters combat with the blocking minion.
  • Only usable when you are being bled by a younger vampire. Tap this vampire to cause the action to fail.
  • When a blocking anarch has just completed combat with an acting minion, you may tap this card and a ready untapped anarch you control other than the blocking anarch. That anarch enters combat with the acting minion.
  • You may tap this card as a minion you control announces an action. If the action is blocked, the range of each round of the resulting combat is automatically close. Skip the determine range step each round.
  • Choose 2 ready Toreador you control. The first Toreador's non-bleed actions cannot be blocked. The second Toreador does not untap as normal during the untap phase; tap the second Toreador.
  • Cancel a non-combat card that requires Dementation, Dominate or Presence as it is played (no cost is paid). Tap this vampire.

Best of luck. You'll need it.

More
12 Feb 2019 19:29 #93442 by TwoRazorReign
Excuse me, where did you get the idea that the rulebook post was about listing mistakes? If that's the rationale you're using to move this post, well, I'm sorry, but that's not correct and I think you need to re-read the original post.

Also, are you going to move other posts discussing templating here? It's really confusing to jump back and forth between threads. Improvements to templating and the rulebook are not mutually exclusive. From my viewpoint, you're kind of undermining my whole post in an annoying passive-aggressive way by moving it where it does not belong.

More
12 Feb 2019 19:42 #93443 by Kraus

Also, are you going to move other posts discussing templating here? It's really confusing to jump back and forth between threads. Improvements to templating and the rulebook are not mutually exclusive. From my viewpoint, you're kind of undermining my whole post in an annoying passive-aggressive way by moving it where it does not belong.

Moderators and admins maintain these guidelines and see to that they are followed. Their word is final.

I will make an exception and explain, as I feel it is required:

Moving this discussion to a separate thread is not undermining. Rather, it should reinforce its impact as it won't clutter other topics, or be cluttered by them. The discussion will have more room for growth.

This is the reason. You may resume discussion.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds