file Ilomba and Set's Curse

20 Apr 2019 11:21 #94585 by Malachy
Greetings Meths, been a while!

My question is the following: Can you play Set's Curse on Ilomba? Allow me to highlight lines that makes me wonder.

Name: Ilomba
[EK:R]
Cardtype: Retainer
Animal with 1 life. Requires a Laibon.
Put Ilomba on any minion (this is a +1 stealth (D) action if that minion is controlled by another Methuselah). If Ilomba would burn a life (or would otherwise be burned), this minion burns a blood or life instead. If he or she cannot, he or she is burned. A minion may have only one Ilomba.
Artist: Ron Spencer

Name: Set's Curse
[LotN:R]
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 2 blood
Discipline: Serpentis
+1 stealth action.
[ser] (D) Burn any ally or retainer to put this card into play. This card becomes an animal ally with 3 life, 2 strength and 0 bleed. This ally cannot have or use equipment or retainers and cannot play action cards.
[SER] As above, but burn a vampire with capacity less than 3 to put this card in play.
Artist: Jim DiBartolo

NC of Hungary

///

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2019 14:09 #94597 by Ratadin
Replied by Ratadin on topic Ilomba and Set's Curse
I would say no, because Set's Curse's ruling follow the "Do X to Y", and thus, if X didn't happen, you cannot resolve Y. In this case, you attempt to burn a ilomba, but instead end up burning a blood. As you did not burn a retainer, you cannot put the Set's Curse in play.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:41 - 02 Jun 2021 07:32 #94614 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Ilomba and Set's Curse

My question is the following: Can you play Set's Curse on Ilomba?

Yes, you can play it (there is a legal target and nothing prohibits it) but as Ratadin pointed out, the following will occur if the action is successful:

- you don't burn Ilomba. Instead, the minion it is attached to burns 1 blood or is burned

EDIT: reverted the following:

- you don't put the Set's Curse into play since Ilomba was not burned, and burning the retainer is the condition to put the Set's Curse into play ("burn... TO ...")

So basically, all it does is burning 1 blood on the minion Ilomba is attached to.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 02 Jun 2021 07:32 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malachy

More
02 Jun 2021 00:02 #102358 by thiagotargino

Yes, you can play it (there is a legal target and nothing prohibits it) but as Ratadin pointed out, the following will occur if the action is successful:

- you don't burn Ilomba. Instead, the minion it is attached to burns 1 blood or is burned
- you don't put the Set's Curse into play since Ilomba was not burned, and burning the retainer is the condition to put the Set's Curse into play ("burn... TO ...")

So basically, all it does is burning 1 blood on the minion Ilomba is attached to.

Sorry to ressurrect this one, but Ilomba got quite popular here this week :).

By the answer above I assume this one is wrong:

LSJ

XZealot wrote:
> Can you use Set's Curse on an Ilomba to put the Set's Curse into play
> yet not burn the Ilomba (instead making the Ilbomba's controlling
> vampire burn a blood)?Yes.groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/O_mLHK6ExiA/m/k4scTDzyF1QJ

So I'd like to confirm:

1) Can Ilomba be used as target for War Ghoul recruit action and instead of burn it, make it's bearer burn blood (or be burned) instead, fullfiling the requirement?

2) Can Ilomba's bearer burn 1 blood to have supeior Pack Alpha instead of burning Ilomba?

Card texts:Name: War Ghoul
Warning: Spoiler!

Name: Pack Alpha
Warning: Spoiler!

:malk: :AUS: :OBF: :PRE: :dai: :dem: :obe: :cap9: :anarch: Flip a coin. Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lip

More
02 Jun 2021 07:31 #102359 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Ilomba and Set's Curse

Sorry to ressurrect this one, but Ilomba got quite popular here this week :).

By the answer above I assume this one is wrong:

LSJ

XZealot wrote:
> Can you use Set's Curse on an Ilomba to put the Set's Curse into play
> yet not burn the Ilomba (instead making the Ilbomba's controlling
> vampire burn a blood)?Yes.groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/O_mLHK6ExiA/m/k4scTDzyF1QJ

Sorry, my mistake. LSJ's ruling stand: the cost was paid (burn the Ilomba, then Ilomba's cardtext kicks in).

So I'd like to confirm:

1) Can Ilomba be used as target for War Ghoul recruit action and instead of burn it, make it's bearer burn blood (or be burned) instead, fullfiling the requirement?

Yes. groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/7jBRkJ6hZKQ/m/0HESgmupt_QJ

2) Can Ilomba's bearer burn 1 blood to have supeior Pack Alpha instead of burning Ilomba?

Yes. groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/O_mLHK6ExiA/m/oxCUz4N8Su0J

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: thiagotargino, Hakuron, lip

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds