file First Tradition and Unlock Phase

25 Jul 2019 11:08 #95974 by Hakuron

There is a major difference. The old wording (pay 2 pool or skip your turn) would mean that first traditions stack when there are multiples in play. You would have to make the choice for each first tradition separately.

Whereas the up-to-date wording presented by Ankha (You may choose to skip your turn. Burn 2 pool during your unlock phase) means that if you skip your turn, none of the first traditions do anything since there is no untap phase to burn pool in. This is the most likely cause of confusion with the card. [...]

Well, they still stack, do they not? 3 copies of First Traditions in play mean you have to burn 6 pool in order to take your turn, or am I mistaken?

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2019 12:51 - 25 Jul 2019 12:53 #95975 by Ankha

Here's how I interpret "when you would take your turn":

(1) There exists an opportunity for a player to choose to take their turn when First Tradition is in play between the end of one turn and the start of the next turn (before initiating the next turn's unlock phase).

Correct.

(2) There exists an opportunity for a player to choose to take their turn when First Tradition is in play during their turn's unlock phase (before doing anything that normally happens in the unlock phase).

No, because it means you have begun to take your turn.

Consider the analogy: you can choose to enter a room or not. If you set one foot in the room, you can't say: "wait, I don't enter the room" because it's too late. The choice of entering or not the room (taking the turn or not) must be done before you enter the room (start the turn).

Moreover, "would" is used in the VTES terminology for replacement effects and it works exactly the same here: A would happen. Before A happens, you can choose to do something else instead (skipping your turn).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 12:53 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron, TwoRazorReign

More
25 Jul 2019 12:56 #95976 by Ankha

Well, they still stack, do they not? 3 copies of First Traditions in play mean you have to burn 6 pool in order to take your turn, or am I mistaken?

Yes. When you would take your turn, you have 3 effects to handle:
- FT 1 asks you if you want to skip your turn or not
- FT 2 asks you if you want to skip your turn or not
- FT 3 asks you if you want to skip your turn or not

If you answer 3 times "if want to take my turn", then you take you turn, and you must pay 6 pool since there are 3 FT.
As soon as you answer "no, I want to skip my turn", you skip your turn and proceed with the next player's turn.

Prince of Paris, France
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
25 Jul 2019 13:08 - 25 Jul 2019 13:09 #95978 by Snodig

If you answer 3 times "if want to take my turn", then you take you turn, and you must pay 6 pool since there are 3 FT.
As soon as you answer "no, I want to skip my turn", you skip your turn and proceed with the next player's turn.

Does that mean each skip counts towards only one of the FTs? Can you choose which one?
Burning pool affects all at once, or 2 per FT?
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 13:09 by Snodig.

More
25 Jul 2019 13:11 - 25 Jul 2019 13:19 #95979 by TwoRazorReign

Here's how I interpret "when you would take your turn":

(1) There exists an opportunity for a player to choose to take their turn when First Tradition is in play between the end of one turn and the start of the next turn (before initiating the next turn's unlock phase).

Correct.

(2) There exists an opportunity for a player to choose to take their turn when First Tradition is in play during their turn's unlock phase (before doing anything that normally happens in the unlock phase).

No, because it means you have begun to take your turn.

Consider the analogy: you can choose to enter a room or not. If you set one foot in the room, you can't say: "wait, I don't enter the room" because it's too late. The choice of entering or not the room (taking the turn or not) must be done before you enter the room (start the turn).

Moreover, "would" is used in the VTES terminology for replacement effects and it works exactly the same here: A would happen. Before A happens, you can choose to do something else instead (skipping your turn).

So the decision to use "would" replacement effects takes place immediately before whatever it is those effects are replacing in all cases? Or are there exceptions?
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 13:19 by TwoRazorReign.

More
25 Jul 2019 13:20 - 25 Jul 2019 13:46 #95981 by Ankha

Does that mean each skip counts towards only one of the FTs? Can you choose which one?
Burning pool affects all at once, or 2 per FT?

Each skip do count towards ALL FT.

groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/19Ys4rdQPQw/bijoNa8Z8FsJ

Burning pool counts for each, not for all (so if there are 3 FT in play and you burn 6 pool, they don't burn at once).

So "would" replacement effects take place immediately before whatever it is they are replacing in all cases? Or are there exceptions?

Not quite. There is the "is about to..." step that is in between.

A would happen (still time to replace A by B)
A is about to happen (you can't replace A by anything else, but you can apply some effects)
A happens.

For instance, Spying Mission
1/ Bleed would be successful => burns no blood instead and is not successful
2/ Bleed is about to be successful => it gets +2 bleed
3 Bleed is successful.

The first time you play Spying Mission, 1/ happens (and 2/ and 3/ don't)
Then you bleed the same Methuselah again and don't play another Spying Mission
2/ and 3/ happen (unless you play other effects).

Revised card text for Spying Mission:
Only usable if a bleed would be successful. Instead, the bleed burns no pool, is unsuccessful, and put this card on this vampire. The next time this vampire is about to successfully bleed the same Methuselah, burn this card and this vampire gets +2 bleed.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 25 Jul 2019 13:46 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoRazorReign, Snodig

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds