file Mercy (an idea to avoid self-ousting)

20 Aug 2019 23:22 #96423 by Hakuron
This is not a rules question, it is an idea to add something to the tournament rules. (If this is the wrong category for that, please someone move it to the right place, thanks.)

[ This idea got triggered by the latest discussion about self-ousting: www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/77880-play-to-win?start=0#96341]

"Mercy"
If only 2 players remain, a player may immediately ask for Mercy (given the case that gaining 1.5 VP are enough for the other remaining player to achieve the gamewin).
Asking for Mercy ends the game, and grants the player asking for Mercy 0.5 VP and the other player 1.5 VP.

In my opinion, this could help to reduce the cases of self-ousting.
:tore:

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2019 11:39 #96467 by Ashur

"Mercy"
If only 2 players remain, a player may immediately ask for Mercy (given the case that gaining 1.5 VP are enough for the other remaining player to achieve the gamewin).
Asking for Mercy ends the game, and grants the player asking for Mercy 0.5 VP and the other player 1.5 VP.

But 1.5 is not enough for a game win. Or you propose it should be?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
22 Aug 2019 13:18 #96470 by emime
Warning: Spoiler!

"Mercy"

But 1.5 is not enough for a game win. Or you propose it should be?

I think the OP means that the 1,5 additional VPs granted by the "Mercy" rule to the player at the good end of the situation are enough to grant him a game win (i.e. 2 or more VPs and more than the others). If I understand correctly, it is a similar to what is done now via withdrawing.

Emiliano "Sans Terre" - Wandering Player - Prince of Brussels

More
22 Aug 2019 13:47 - 22 Aug 2019 13:50 #96471 by Oko
Correct.

There would have to be some serious Life Boon-shenanigans for one player to be in the headsup and NOT be able to snag a GW with 1.5VP

Thing is, I don't enjoy the idea of my plaything being allowed to get out of the beating by invoking parley mercy.
So, it'd have to be some kind of a deal, which can already be done by the players themselves. And then you can go full Orian on that deal.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2019 13:50 by Oko.

More
22 Aug 2019 16:25 - 22 Aug 2019 16:29 #96475 by Hakuron
Thanks, Emiliano. Yes, I meant "if gaining additional 1.5 VP via the Mercy rule" are enough for the last player remaining to get the GW.

It is similar to the withdrawal rule, but without that (strange) loss of 0.5 VP in total.

I agree in that the player winning might lose 0.5 VP, but that would look like a fine trade-off if more fairness were gained that way. Plus, it gives some reward to the 2nd last man standing.

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de
Last edit: 22 Aug 2019 16:29 by Hakuron. Reason: Correcting text

More
29 Feb 2020 15:07 #99097 by beslin igor
Hakuron you idea not that bad i think.
Well maybe can restrict something about player who ask for Mercy,so maybe player who have less than 4 pool (number 4 is only example,can be more or less),or dont have any ready minion cannot ask for Mercy.
We need to see,I only dont know whu nobody from vekn moderators or admins dont give any answers in you idea,because that maybe can solve early resign game for player .
You need to share you idea in fb group,because people in fb is more active than there in vekn.
I think we can test this rule in some future online leagues.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds