file Flesh of Marble and aggravated damage

06 Oct 2019 18:29 #97267 by Mewcat

Flesh of Marble effectively creates a gap between being done playing prevent effects and moving on to heal / prevent destruction. Okay, I'm choosing not to play any more Skin of Rock (or whatever) and we're just about done with preventing damage.... so Flesh of Marble does its thing. Then we move into heal damage/prevent destruction, and at that point you split the damage out one by one, normal then agg.

And this is in concordance with my first post on this topic. Flesh of marble does not fit within the rules and is kind of its own thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2019 09:02 #97270 by Lönkka

Flesh of Marble effectively creates a gap between being done playing prevent effects and moving on to heal / prevent destruction. Okay, I'm choosing not to play any more Skin of Rock (or whatever) and we're just about done with preventing damage.... so Flesh of Marble does its thing. Then we move into heal damage/prevent destruction, and at that point you split the damage out one by one, normal then agg.

And this is in concordance with my first post on this topic. Flesh of marble does not fit within the rules and is kind of its own thing.

At risk of flogging a dead horse at least Kilrauko already pointed out that it does:

"1.4. The Golden Rule for Cards
Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence."

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
07 Oct 2019 09:06 #97271 by Ankha

What is the question?

If both normal and aggravated damage is dealt to a vampire who has played Flesh of marble at superior, can they choose which 1 point of damage they take for the flesh to do its preventing?

Yes. You can choose which 1 point of damage is not prevented.
groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/FW-bmZpIM68/gLoYcvpUB7UJ

Can you also explain how damage prevention step works with flesh of marble, since Mewcat seems to have some confusion about it?

a) compute the damage dealt
b) prevent the damage
c) handle/heal the damage

In step b), as soon as 1 damage is suffered (= not prevented, but before losing blood or going to torpor), Flesh of Marble kicks in and creates a prevention effect that lasts until the end of the round.
In step c), the vampire burns the blood for the 1 damage that is suffered.

Flesh of Marble is not a classic prevention card since it works once 1 damage has not been prevented. So yes, it works following what it says (as many other cards), per the Golden Rule.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kilrauko

More
07 Oct 2019 12:47 #97272 by Mewcat

At risk of flogging a dead horse at least Kilrauko already pointed out that it does:

"1.4. The Golden Rule for Cards
Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence."

This isn't a case of contradicting the rules, this is a case of making up new rules. If you can't see a problem with such flippant invoking of the golden rule there is just no common ground. there have been 20 rules question posts in the last month. That should be troubling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivesByProxy

More
07 Oct 2019 14:47 - 07 Oct 2019 15:10 #97273 by LivesByProxy
I agree with Mewcat.

Anson saying, "You get two Master phase actions." contradicts the rule(s): "A player gets one Master phase action."

FoM would seem to be operating outside the provided rules structure. In this manner, it reminds me of all the "Before range is determined," cards and Immortal Grapple and Taste of Vitae: they don't so much contradict the rules, but create timing windows on-the-fly where none previously existed (as per the combat structure outlined in the rulebook.)

But I guess we have our answer - by Imperial Decree as Mewcat predicted, no less.

Edit:

a) compute the damage dealt
b) prevent the damage
c) handle/heal the damage

In step b), as soon as 1 damage is suffered (= not prevented, but before losing blood or going to torpor), Flesh of Marble kicks in and creates a prevention effect that lasts until the end of the round.
In step c), the vampire burns the blood for the 1 damage that is suffered.

Does no one else see the discrepancy here? In step b) damage can be suffered but that's different from both "computing damage" and step c) where the damage is handled / healed. AND and there would seem to be a sub-step / window where "before losing blood or going to torpor" effects apply but this sub-step / window is distinct from step c) which is where we actually lose blood and go to torpor AKA handle / heal the damage.

The word suffer really shouldn't be used, since it isn't being used correctly. Maybe the word "assign" would be more apt.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2019 15:10 by LivesByProxy. Reason: pointing out spaghetti code / rules

More
07 Oct 2019 15:35 #97274 by Grzybas
In my opinion its just a wording issue on FoM itself - how about something like this:
[pro] This combat, prevent all but 1 non-aggravated damage each round. The remaining 1 damage cannot be prevented or reduced by other effects.
[PRO] Same thing with aggravated allowed.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds