file Table talk and in tourneaments & general conversations

19 Nov 2019 12:22 - 19 Nov 2019 12:25 #97901 by Bloodartist

Which would then leave us with no rules to address, for example, the player who turns up to roleplay a k00ky Malkavian (not play to win), or who decides to take revenge on a player they don't like for a wholly unrelated reason, and many similar actions.

1. I would be fine with that, because players are at a liberty of acting together against such a player just as they would a table threat.

2. There literally WAS a person roleplaying a kooky malkavian here in a tournament in the summer (year ago? This year? I cant remember). This manifested in him practically bleeding random persons with kindred spirits (and he said so). No action was taken to punish him. He was basically recruited to play in a tournament to boost participation numbers, whereas he wouldn't have played otherwise.

This 100% happened, but I cant remember the date exactly. It happened in the Riihimäki tournament. The other Finnish players can attest to this I'm sure.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 19 Nov 2019 12:25 by Bloodartist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2019 14:03 #97911 by Ankha

Which would then leave us with no rules to address, for example, the player who turns up to roleplay a k00ky Malkavian (not play to win), or who decides to take revenge on a player they don't like for a wholly unrelated reason, and many similar actions.

1. I would be fine with that, because players are at a liberty of acting together against such a player just as they would a table threat.

2. There literally WAS a person roleplaying a kooky malkavian here in a tournament in the summer (year ago? This year? I cant remember). This manifested in him practically bleeding random persons with kindred spirits (and he said so). No action was taken to punish him. He was basically recruited to play in a tournament to boost participation numbers, whereas he wouldn't have played otherwise.

This 100% happened, but I cant remember the date exactly. It happened in the Riihimäki tournament. The other Finnish players can attest to this I'm sure.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to spoil the fun of all other players for one guy who plays at random.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
19 Nov 2019 23:28 #97922 by jamesatzephyr

Facilitating this undermines the existence of all other rules. I am totally allowed to self-oust despite it violating play-to-win, because I am roleplaying a self-ouster. I am totally allowed to oust that guy cross-table that doesn't help me in any way whatsoever but it entirely coincidentally helps my friend get into the final, because I am roleplaying a Toreador whose heart was broken by that guy.

It has also been understood to be part of the play-to-win rule for many, many years. This was Robert Goudie - then chair of V:EKN - talking about it in 2003 :

It is worth noting as well that the "play to win" rule doesn't just apply to
people playing toward the meta goals of tournament wins, ratings, qualifying
positioning, etc. It also applies to the people who are playing toward goals
that are less than trying to win the current game. For example, playing to
"roleplay" at the expense of the current game. This produces game and
tournament distortions.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds