question-circle Some rules questions from new players (regarding votes/combat/stealth)

14 Apr 2020 09:47 #99578 by Tenebrae
Hi!
We're four people who just got into the game, so far we have bought everything released for the re-print and have about 10 games under the belt - we feel we have the hang on the basics but there are some questions that have come up we can't seem to solve with the rulebook.

All help is appriciated :)

Can you play stealth/intercept card if it's not needed - for the other effects
We understand you can only add stealth and intercept if it's needed to match the stealth/intercept of the action - but if a card has stealth/intercept and another effect, can you play that card as a reaction even though you don't need the stealth part?

Are the number of votes tallied before voting begins?
During a referendum when/how are votes gained and cast? Example, do you tally up all votes available (burn the edge/play political cards etc) before the votes are cast so there are no surprises? Or is this done when votes are cast? For example i have one vote and vote yes and then my opponent burns the edge and plays a card for two votes, can i then counter with a vote card myself ergo go back and forth? If the later, is there an order which you cast votes? If you can surprise vote i'm guessing you dont want to cast first :)

Pressing combat - manouvers / strikes
When i use a press - do combat essentially begin again (with new determine range, new combat cards etc) or is it just another round of strikes (with the same range). If so, is the combat cards i've played previously still there and can i use the same strike again? Can i during a press play new combat cards with other strikes? And just to make sure, during a press the range can't be modified/manouvers can't be used?

That's what we haven't been able to solve so far, i'm sure more questions will arise :)
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2020 13:23 - 14 Apr 2020 13:24 #99579 by self biased

Can you play stealth/intercept card if it's not needed - for the other effects

No. You need to be able to use all of the bonuses that the card gives. For example, you cannot play Bonding at superior (which gives +1 Stealth and +1 Bleed) unless you need the stealth.

once the action resolves successfully and the referendum happens voting is basically a free-for-all. Usually votes from Titles are figured out first, then modifiers and reactions or other effects are used to further gain votes as needed.

Pressing combat - manouvers / strikes

in short, when you press to continue, a brand new round of combat begins from the start of the sequence. Any combat card that doesn't have a persistent effect for the duration of a combat (like Trap or Weather Control) goes away.

Much like stealth and intercept you cannot,
generally speaking play cards just to play them and similar goes for maneuvers, presses and strikes. You cannot play a strike card during the press step, or a press card during the maneuvers step. though there's nothing preventing you from using a card to maneuver to long, and then using another card to maneuver back to close to cycle cards.

Some cards will grant an 'optional effect' like how Aid From Bats or .44 magnum both grant optional maneuvers. Aid From Bats is a strike card, but you can play it for the optional Maneuver during the maneuver step. However by doing so, you are obligated to use Aid From Bats as your initial strike that round. If you generate any Additional Strikes, you're free to choose whatever strikes you have available to you.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 13:24 by self biased.

More
14 Apr 2020 13:34 #99580 by Lönkka

During a referendum when/how are votes gained and cast? Example, do you tally up all votes available (burn the edge/play political cards etc) before the votes are cast so there are no surprises?

You can tally up them if you like.
Even before playing a vote card.

You can ask the table/players: "How many votes you have on the table right now?"

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
14 Apr 2020 13:45 #99581 by Lönkka
Tenebrae, I would dare to suggest that you check out the most excellent web resource for VTES, Codex of the Damned.

It is chock full of helpful info all in one place.
Strategy, Archetypes and Best Cards should provide plenty of useful material. And if you search cards through Card Search you also get, in addition to the latest card texts, the relevant Rulings with the results.

So very useful and helpful for new players!

www.codex-of-the-damned.org/index.html

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lip

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
14 Apr 2020 14:07 - 14 Apr 2020 14:08 #99582 by Ankha

During a referendum when/how are votes gained and cast? Example, do you tally up all votes available (burn the edge/play political cards etc) before the votes are cast so there are no surprises?

You can tally up them if you like.
Even before playing a vote card.

You can ask the table/players: "How many votes you have on the table right now?"

In VTES, "tallying" votes and ballots have a very specific meaning and timing. Here, you really mean "cast" instead of "tally".

The political action works as described in the rulebook 6.3.2. The referendum

1. Choose the terms, if any, of the referendum.
2. Polling.
2.1 Cards that are used "during a political action" but "before votes and ballots are cast" are used at this time.
2.2 Then, all Methuselahs may now cast any votes and ballots they have (see below) at this time, in any order. They call out their votes and ballots freely, and there is no obligation to cast votes or ballots. Once a vote or a ballot has been cast, however, it cannot be changed. The polling stage is completed only when all Methuselahs are finished casting votes and ballots (if you need a time limit, the players can agree to wait 15 seconds after the last vote or ballot cast to close the polling stage).

So it's very like Self biased describes it:

once the action resolves successfully and the referendum happens voting is basically a free-for-all. Usually votes from Titles are figured out first, then modifiers and reactions or other effects are used to further gain votes as needed.

I'd like to put emphasis on "usually". Nothing prevents you from playing an action modifier to gain votes before casting votes with a vampire. Please note also that you are not obliged to cast votes with your vampires or even the political action card used to call the referendum. (You could even cast that vote against the referendum).

So a typical in-game situation would be:

"A - Lodin calls a Kine Resource Contested. Block?
Prey - No block
Predator - No block.
C - Could you put 1 damage on my prey D? I'll vote for you.
A - Hmm why not. Let me count... Well, D is my pal too, and I don't really need your votes. So no, let's do it the "right way": 3 on my prey, 1 on my predator. I have 1 vote in favor from the vote. Any votes?
Prey - 1 against with my bishop.
A - So it fails by 0. Lodin will vote in favor then. Any other votes?
C - I could vote against, but let's say I'll abstain for now.
A - So it passes by 1?
Prey - Wait, I'll play a Surprise Influence.... Fear ! Two more against.
A - So it fails by 1. Hmm, C, what about you vote for this one and I'll call another KRC right after and put 2 on your prey D?
D - Really? What about a Delaying Tactics if you do?"
etc.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 14:08 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds