file Damage prevention windows: what can you Soak ?

15 May 2020 09:46 #99834 by lip
Thanks @jamesatzephyr for the details and links in the first answer.
Also thx @kschaefer for the continuation of the discussion and the excellent arguments and examples.

I'd tend to be in agreement with James (it is usually safer anyway :P), but this is indeed a bit intricate. Blood Shield and Twisting the Knife examples are also interesting.

An official ruling on these questions would be useful I think ☺︎
No urgency though, that's kind of a corner-case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2020 14:47 #99836 by kschaefer

Nothing on card text supports your suggestion that Tunnel Runnel damage is handled before Carrion Crows damage either. However, rulings

I guess my attempt to play devil's advocate and explain a lack of information that is leading to confusion is not working. So, I'll just leave this here. There's a lack of clarity here. Period. As demonstrated by the fact that there is a rules question. Some wording assistance on TR may help ameliorate that.

More
15 May 2020 21:29 #99839 by jamesatzephyr

Nothing on card text supports your suggestion that Tunnel Runnel damage is handled before Carrion Crows damage either. However, rulings

I guess my attempt to play devil's advocate and explain a lack of information that is leading to confusion is not working.

If you are trying to say "I think the source of confusion here is...", say that. Please, please, please, please, please, please, please don't just actively misrepresent the rules in the way that you are doing here. You are causing confusion.

Could Tunnel Runner be clarified? Sure. That's a wholly separate thing to telling people we haven't got to normal strike effects yet, when you apparently claim to understand that strike resolution is simultaneous.

More
16 May 2020 15:50 #99848 by lip
Well I'd say we all agree with you analysis James ☺︎ Sill, a confirmation from Ankha would be welcome so I can add a clear ruling for reference.

More
17 May 2020 07:52 - 17 May 2020 07:52 #99855 by Ankha

Browsing through the rulings again, and I'm not clear on this:

Scenario 1
- Vampire A is in combat with vampire B
- Vampire A plays Blood of Acid at inferior :vic:
- Both A & B Hand Strike for 1 damage
- Can B prevent the 2 damage (strike and BoA) with a single Soak ?

... any "instantaneous" damage prevention that was played in B1 won't carry over to B2.

Correct.

Scenario 2
- Vampire A is in combat with Tunnel Runner
- Vampire A plays Theft of Vitae at inferior :tha:, Tunnel Runner Hand Strike for 1
- Can A prevent the 2 damage (strike and Tunnel Runner's ability) with a single Soak ?

Stolen blood from Theft of Vitae etc. is handled during strike resolution, and is handled immediately (before damage is handled for damage-dealing effects), so Tunnel Runner's ability should kick in at that point. I'd then bundle it in with the other damage dealing effects that are being handled at the same time e.g. me being hit by damage from a hand strike, a Wolf Companion, and Carrion Crows.

Correct.

Thanks James for the very thorough explanation.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 17 May 2020 07:52 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beslin igor, lip

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds