question-circle New forum for polls ?

29 Nov 2011 18:36 #16480 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: New forum for polls ?

What Hugh criticized the most about those cards was availability.
I agree. Wrote allot about the subject here.

I think we interpreted the interview differently. From KoT, he criticized the design of Ashur Tablet, another card whose name I couldn't understand through the audio, and the fact that Villein nerfs Minion Tap, which he said didn't need to be nerfed (or rather, he said there were three cards from KoT that were bad, Isaak suggested three, and Hugh agreed, making a specific comment about "nuking" a card that didn't need to be nuked). He also criticized Anthelios's design.

He also mentioned that the availability of Villein may be a problem.

I'm not trying to belabor the point about what he did or didn't say. My point is that not everyone, including some "important" people, thinks that the game is perfectly designed as it is. Not to say that it isn't good. It is to say that improvements might be considered.

The Prince doesn't have to organize each and every causal game. No one has time for that.

Have you guys tried out a certain fixed weekly game night in a suitable standard venue (bar, FLGS, whatever)? If weekly is too often, then biweekly is perhaps better suited? When people know the standard date/place they don't need the Prince attending every time.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be Prince. He has a demanding job and a family that must understandably come first. But it's not like Northern California where everyone is a prince because everyone lives in a small town or city. There are two cities proper here with VTES players: Glendale and Los Angeles. There are two respected and established players who are Prince of Glendale and Los Angeles. They do what they can throughout the year, but they have jobs and families of course. James Lin lives in Glendale. He is single and works in film production so he sometimes has extra time off. He tries to organize games every one to three weeks; he fosters new players; he has bought large collections of cards the extras from which he generously gives away; he makes creative decks. He hasn't talked about being a Prince, but since he lives in Glendale, I don't think he could be one.

We have tried to do regular games, but the attempts always fizzle over time. For well over a year in 2009 & 2010 I was organizing weekly games myself, until I got burned out from the game for a while. During that time I was essentially functioning as the prince of LA. I helped to restart VTES tournaments at our local gaming conventions, but I wasn't the judge or "official" organizer, to a degree because I wasn't confident to do it. Now, after having started to actively study the rules, rulings, and judges' guidelines, I certainly would judge any tournament I organized. (The fact that I have been studying them is one reason that I have become more critical of them. :dry:)

LA's size and traffic make gathering problematic on weeknights. There are lots of reasons that make regular gatherings difficult, such as the lack of space in gaming stores due to competition with MtG, people's reticence to meet in public restaurants or cafes, people's transportation problems, and people's schedules in general.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds