file Any progress on the ranking module?

08 Oct 2012 10:16 - 08 Oct 2012 10:19 #38580 by Izaak

It took one of the Polish players a week to create a tool that would collect set of data from Archon sheets amd generate an output file (rank) that is currently being used for VTES Polish League (www.vtes-polska.ugu.pl/rating.php), so don't tell me it's that difficult . It's been two years now there is no world rank at all...

Ye I kinda have to side with wargrim here on this topic, although it's probably not the right thread for it.

Since the Archon (which is Excel) delivers its data in XML quite readily since Office2010, writing a .NET upload is utterly trivial. It's probably slightly more challenging in php, but I believe Joomla! is .NET anyway.

Really, all you need to do is grab the right XML-ids of the fields you want to export (which should be just the results tab in the Archon) and store them in a database somewhere. Add in some reasonably simple queries to pull the data you want to see and then sort it by whatever sorting algorithm you want and voila, it's done.

It's my understanding that a "team" of people was working on it two years ago, those people then abandoned the project, it took ages for them to get replaced and that team "has been working on the matter" since I last brought it up, which is about 6-7 months ago.

How anyone can take more than a few weeks to code something as trivial as the conversion from a few lines of XML to a viewable website is beyond me, but that's where we're at.

well you could have volunteered that or got your NC to volunteer that Wargrim!

That doesn't work, or at least it hasn't until now. I offered exactly that on two occasions. Once immediately (and directly to the newly appointed chairman) after the NC meeting all the way back in Paris (EC2010) and once during the EC in Poland last year. Both times my assistance was not required as "matters were being taken care of"

Yet here we are.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 10:19 by Izaak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Kuta, Ashur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 10:25 #38582 by Ohlmann
I do agree with Izaak that it is trivially easy (even in PHP, which Joomla is done in AFAIK).

Then again, I think Wargrim took the wrong approach and the wrong thread.

(also, I do have called name Johannes several time without being banned, or even ostracized, so I believe peoples can be critical with the Inner Circle easily enough)

More
08 Oct 2012 10:56 #38587 by wargrim
In my opinion it is the right place to talk about it. Once I realised how much energy had been wasted on the PCK issue discussion, I started wondering why it couldn't have been utilized somewhere else...

BTW - I have already volunteered back in 2011, but got the same answer as Izzak, that someone was already working on that ;).

"Iusiurandum patri datum usque ad hanc diem ita servavi"

More
08 Oct 2012 11:13 #38591 by Ohlmann

In my opinion it is the right place to talk about it. Once I realised how much energy had been wasted on the PCK issue discussion, I started wondering why it couldn't have been utilized somewhere else...

Then again, VEKN making sure it won't be sued off is more important than archon, if only because archon is convenient when a botched trial can end VEKN.

Also, the thread here show that players respond a lot on the issue, not that VEKN officials spent a lot of energy on that. It's the public forum, not the inner circle discussion here.

More
08 Oct 2012 11:42 - 08 Oct 2012 11:43 #38592 by Santh

It took one of the Polish players a week to create a tool that would collect set of data from Archon sheets amd generate an output file (rank) that is currently being used for VTES Polish League (www.vtes-polska.ugu.pl/rating.php), so don't tell me it's that difficult :). It's been two years now there is no world rank at all...

So why not offer it up to be used by VEKN?

That would've been more productive than a negative rant...

vekn.net/index.php/forum/5-generic-vtes-discussion/22895-vtes-rating

i offered it.

VEKN is so lazy, that they don't read topics ? So sad.

i wrote this code on studies, when i have started to learn PHP language and whole code took me 2 weeks.

so i think it's rather easy to write something like that, for experienced admins of this site :)
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 11:43 by Santh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Kuta

More
08 Oct 2012 11:52 #38593 by Suoli

So now , you can finally stop whining and get back to work!

What about the rank - has the script/piece of code been already completed ? How is that possible that for last 2 years you were unable to create a decent tool for that purpose ?

I'm really disappointed that you're wasting time on pointless discussions instead of doing something creative.

There are dozens of players looking at YOU (VEKN) and wondering WTF you're doing...

It would be really nice if you could concentrate on really important current issues (like rank for example). After reading several pages of this "great" discussion I have a feeling that the bureaucracy is "killing you from inside". Don't forget you're fan based group, as some of you behave as if they were managers of some big private organization. Hold on your horses guys. VTES is not your private toy. VTES is us - the society of players...

Yeah, totally.

To the VEKN:
1. Be more professional!
2. Stop imagining you're professionals, you're just a bunch of fans like everybody else!
3. Get back to work instead of wasting time on informing the community!
4. Cut the secrecy, the community deserves to be informed!
5. Nerf Villein!
6. Stop making changes to the game!
7. Wash my dishes!

You have 1 hour to get down from your ivory tower and comply. Fascist bastards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Menteith, Boris The Blade, Ohlmann

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds