file Offline Rulings Tool

25 Jan 2011 09:05 #775 by Juggernaut1981
Would it be possible to have an offline rulings tool?
I don't know if I'd be able to have web access while at my FLGS, and I think it would be an invaluable tool. Not sure if I could easily just save the webpage for the rulings and get all of the relevant ones.

I am also thinking that if it's an option, then there should be an option for automatically notifying users on this site about updates. For example, being able to subscribe to a simple email that said "There has been an update to the Rulings. You will need to download a new copy of the offline Rulings Documents."

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2011 12:00 #778 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool
Best way is to either take a print or just copy the contents. Not really any easier way for that. Of course if someone wants to make an application for that, no one will prevent it. As for the notifications, best would probably to set up a forum thread in the announcements, where people could subscribe.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
25 Jan 2011 20:44 #796 by Juggernaut1981
Thanks.
I don't know enough coding of anything to potentially do that, so I'd just have to beg/plead/etc with those are significantly more awesome than me with software.

More
26 Jan 2011 22:29 - 26 Jan 2011 22:31 #816 by KzArashi
Replied by KzArashi on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool

Thanks.
I don't know enough coding of anything to potentially do that, so I'd just have to beg/plead/etc with those are significantly more awesome than me with software.

I too don't know coding. But "Fragment of Elder Library Deck Builder" have options to show or hide flavor text. I think that may be ease to add one option and field to show card related rullings.

By the way, I would like so much if someone can port FELDB or ARDB to iPad.:)

In White Wolf download section there are some PalmOs based files (Judge's Guidelines, Tournament Rules, Rulebook, Cardlist, Rullings and Errata) but they are outdate. That files date back to 2004.
And I remember to see some players here in Brazil using a sort of Cardlist on N-Gage years ago. Don't know if was the PalmOS ones or other thing.

VTES' cousin MTG have apps for PSP, iPad and iPhone. So the same for VTES is very possible.B)

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 22:31 by KzArashi. Reason: misstypes

More
26 Jan 2011 22:42 #817 by KzArashi
Replied by KzArashi on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool
By the way, to that of you that are coding genius:

iGather
Basically, this is a portable version of Gatherer, Magic’s card database. If you don’t have a 3G or WiFi connection available, you’ll only see the card details as text, but when internet is available you can also download a card image. Filters are also available for sorting by things like rarity and format.

MTGJudge
This one is for the judges. It’s a quick reference for all of the rules of Magic, from penalties to layers. It even gives you a rundown of the Head Judge’s announcement at the beginning of a tournament. There is also a basic card lookup facility (with images if you’re on the net), and copies of the Infraction Penalty Guidelines and Comprehensive Rules.

The Sylvan Archives
Some say that The Sylvan Archives is one of the best-known iPhone MTG apps. It’s a sort-of MTG toolbox, with a life counter, dice roller and card lookup engine. It can even show your DCI number and rating (if you want to show that!).

Wagic
Wagic is a bit different to the other apps mentioned here as it claims to let you play a game of Magic on your iPhone. Don't know if work fine.

I'm showing this becouse someone may use one of that apps like a start point to design a VTES one for iPhone and iPad.

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore

More
26 Jan 2011 23:43 #819 by Juggernaut1981
Well, that's a loit of stuff... and some of it we already have.

I was just hoping for something like ARDB (a searchable DB) that would contain Rulings, particularly for cards, that could be easily used during a tournament without getting online. I don't know what sort of coding it would require, but it would probably require building some kind of DB/Index that connected rulings to Cards.

For example...

Search Space: Rotschreck

Results:
Rotschreck & Psyche!
Rotschreck & Telepathic Tracking
And so on.

I just assume that it will be far easier for other people and potentially create a bit more work for the Rulings Team, because they'd have to hand these rulings off to others to be loaded into the DB. Plus if it was able to update itself like ARDB does, then that would be SHINEY!

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds