file Offline Rulings Tool

27 Jan 2011 09:02 - 27 Jan 2011 09:06 #833 by KzArashi
Replied by KzArashi on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool

Iphone and Android apps are beyond the scope of what I willing to do for free.

I have no problem to pay for one VTES iPad app on iTunes Store. I pay for others, Why not for one to ma favotite Card Game? B)

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore
Last edit: 27 Jan 2011 09:06 by KzArashi. Reason: misstypes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2011 17:02 - 27 Jan 2011 17:05 #849 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool
Evidently you can't cancel out of a reply started with "Quote".

If a local HTML version were created, it would all be search-able, you would just have to search each part individually. i.e. Rulebook, card text, rulings...

Included in my thoughts on that are a 'version' page, and a 'check for updates' link that would show you your installed version and a web page that always shows the current version.

My other thought for cross-platform compatibility and search functionality would be to have WW publish it all as a Kindle book. It would be more difficult to update consistently when working thru Amazon though. Perhaps .mobi files would be sufficient. I'll look into that more on the weekend.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2011 17:05 by Adonai.

More
27 Jan 2011 18:06 - 27 Jan 2011 18:08 #855 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool
If we get an offline tool it should be as platform independent as possible. Or alternatively we should get several tools.

Systems that shouldn't be ignored: Android, iPhone, Linux, OS X, Symbian, Windows

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 27 Jan 2011 18:08 by jhattara.

More
27 Jan 2011 23:06 #873 by drstrange26
I have to agree with a web based system that was mentioned earlier would be the most optimal way of doing things. And ultimatly be less time consuming. I have to admit Im bias because I use Windows Products (Enter boos here) but I have a DROID phone and think a deckbuilder app would be nice. Just for coders out there, ARDB is written in C++ and not java which is required for android.
But I think ARDB niche is for users who arent always online all the time and that want an application that works either way. As mentioned above having something that updates and can work offline would be the way to go, if you want to please everyone. I personally dont like having to go to the cloud everytime I want to look up something/make decks when Im traveling or out of Wifi range etc. There is already code to pull from websites and load into the database.
I helped update the code to pull the csv file from the web. I just dont want to cross over into other peoples ideas or niches.

May the Winds of Wattomb not blow through your nether region.
DR

More
28 Jan 2011 02:32 - 28 Jan 2011 02:34 #878 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool
Offline tool - platform independent:

PDF

I've created and formatted the 6 PDF files that a judge would want to have on-hand while off-line and running a tournament.

I tried to attach them as a 2.8 MB zip file.

That doesn't seem to have worked.

I am open to other hosting options.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2011 02:34 by Adonai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
28 Jan 2011 02:48 #880 by librarian
Replied by librarian on topic Re: Offline Rulings Tool

Systems that shouldn't be ignored: Android, iPhone, Linux, OS X, Symbian, Windows

Don't forget Ubuntu for salem and David Cherryholmes (I think...)

Me, I could care less, Wintel is fine for me. Sometime soon, this laptop will go away, and I will move to some sort of tablet, but probably not an Apple (bleh).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds