file Setting up Mandarin-speaking regions and questions

02 Apr 2014 12:19 - 02 Apr 2014 12:22 #60550 by James Lin
It's a lot harder than I thought. There are names/terms that do not exist in Chinese and I will have to make something up, which shouldn't be hard but the hard part is to make sure there aren't any terms set up yet, and that's the part that takes time. I'm being very careful translating this as there's no easier way to do this (I tried Google translate and it was horrible LOL). Will do my best to get it done correctly, and like you mentioned, hopefully, gain a huge interest in China. I do have to say, the Chinese in China are very lazy when they translate to Engrish, ahem, I mean English. You can just tell by their translation of English movie titles... it's a funny read if you know both languages :)

Get busy living or get busy dying

----Andy Dufresne
Last edit: 02 Apr 2014 12:22 by James Lin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2014 12:57 #60551 by Damnans
Out of curiosity, could you name any of the game terms that do not exist in Chinese?

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
02 Apr 2014 16:00 #60563 by James Lin
For example, tap and untap. They play other games (like yugioh) where they call it attacking and defending, but that's different. I've looked but no terms made, and so I just made a term myself that explains the motion/action.

Get busy living or get busy dying

----Andy Dufresne

More
02 Apr 2014 16:13 #60564 by ReverendRevolver

For example, tap and untap. They play other games (like yugioh) where they call it attacking and defending, but that's different. I've looked but no terms made, and so I just made a term myself that explains the motion/action.

Tap and untap are important. Also, MTG uses them, and is translated. I dont recall if its Simplified Chinese or Mandarin.

More
02 Apr 2014 16:13 #60565 by Damnans
Yeah. I also had to use different terms for tap/untap in the Spanish translation, and choose two describing the rotation of the cards.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
02 Apr 2014 17:55 - 02 Apr 2014 18:51 #60566 by Juggernaut1981
James,
I've been thinking of a rewrite just to remove Tap and Untap (purely for my own purposes at the moment) and what I'd suggest is something like: Weary/Fatigued for Tap and Refresh or Renew for Untap.

ti (4) si (death) zi pang + 10 strokes might work well.
fu shi might also work nicely.

I didn't try Chinese script since I didnt' expect the bbcode to handle it.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 02 Apr 2014 18:51 by Juggernaut1981.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds