file Sensory deprivation and its little friends

19 Mar 2014 13:17 #60099 by TapeTaChatte
What do you think are the most annoying cards in v:tes? And does a rule director think like you? Follow the link to find out about me writing and Pascal Bertrand answering some nice questions. Much thanks to him.

Please don't deprivate me

IC Organized play coordinator
Please contact me with any OP query using the mail in my profile
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 14:15 #60102 by ReverendRevolver
I feel cerain cards annoy me MUCH more than sense dep, but im likely a minority. Entombment is one of those. Coma isnt even in the same ballpark because most decks running minimal sce or narrow combat cannot deal with AotA into entomb.
Im not AS cincerned with that recently due to decline in its popularity, though, and i play amaranth decks, so i shouldnt get too bent about other players doing the same thing with different tricks.

I think Ashurs need only to hit minion cards, and all vamps/parthenon/votez granting additional mpas need to say you can onoy gain one additional mpa a turn, and trifles need to be, as i always thought the rules said until girls decks, once ATURN.

Im ok with most stuff, even in decks i hate, because everything has a solid place that gets complained about.

Una even would be better if not for spam and occasionally not the right decks to ruin its game being at a table.

Also, TTC, if you played Sutekh and were sense depped, id hate to see the rest of the tables ready region ;)

More
19 Mar 2014 15:20 - 19 Mar 2014 15:25 #60106 by Lönkka
You run across Sens Dep decks SO very rarely that I really don't think it is a problem.

EDIT: Brilliant article BTW!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 19 Mar 2014 15:25 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 Mar 2014 18:51 #60112 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
Interesting blog.

I appreciate hearing other's opinions on cards that are problematic. Over the years, I've come to realize that the reason I tend to have issues with cards is usually because they break fundamental design mechanics (at least as I understand them.)

What I find fascinating about your post is that I find 3 of 5 cards you selected problematic (and 1 of Floppy's) - but for completely different reasons.

Direct Intervention: There's so much wrong here but my primary objection is that Master card has such a great impact a minion interaction mechanics. By the time I get through the rest of the laundry list of what's wrong, it's clear why DI is in my top 4-5 cards to remove from the game.

Kindred Spirits: not because it travels in large numbers, but because it so freely breaks the predator-prey relationship (which is why it travels in large numbers).

Una: This is actually a broader topic, not because of the turn length, but because I think easily creating a gross discrepancy between actions and potential blocks is unhealthy. My personal opinion is that No Secrets is worse than Una/Nergal because it flips that problem from too many actions towards too many blocks.

Ashur Tablets: Floppy's concern is logistic. I agree with that, but I find the problem runs deeper. Recursion, especially one-to-many recursion, invalidates the concept the decks should be optimized to be competitive and flirts with eliminating the random nature of drawing a card from a face-down library.

Again, interesting take on the cards and thanks for blogging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
19 Mar 2014 22:34 #60118 by Juggernaut1981
My biggest beefs tend to be with those that break a few core ideas:

- Unpredictable card flow (Heart of Cheating sits here)
- Vast resource input (5-10 blood/pool in an action should be rare, like VPs... Voter Cap, Ashur Tablets, etc)
- Obvious Silver Bullet type cards... they add little to the game and have rarely shown much effectiveness or even needed errata in the case of Villein.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds