file ARDB fix turned flop

28 Jul 2011 13:39 #7003 by brandonsantacruz
I tried to edit Riched32.dll by changing the name to riched32.xxx so that I could move a fresh copy from my Windows XP disk. I failed to find my Windows disk after tearing through the office and stopped there. When I tried to change the name of Riched32.xxx back to Riched32.dll, I discovered that Windows has automatically made a copy of said file that works even more poorly than the original. Any time I try to delete or rename THAT file, it creates ANOTHER copy. I tried to boot in safe mode with the hope that it would stop this copying nonsense, but even when I hit f8 like a madman on bootup it won't go to safe mode. Anyone have any insight on this? Is there a place I can get a fresh copy of Riched32.dll other than my Windows disk? How do I force Windows XP to recognize it as the correct copy to use?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2011 14:18 #7005 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: ARDB fix turned flop
Any other PC running the same service pack of Windows XP will have the file you need.
Also, try F5 instead of F8.

SFC /Scannow would work, if you did find your XP install media.

You could also use Windows XP's System Restore utility.

More options:
pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/riched32-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

See also:
Google

More
28 Jul 2011 14:37 #7007 by brandonsantacruz

Any other PC running the same service pack of Windows XP will have the file you need.
Also, try F5 instead of F8.

SFC /Scannow would work, if you did find your XP install media.

You could also use Windows XP's System Restore utility.

More options:
pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/riched32-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

See also:
Google

Ah, thanks for the ideas above. I'll try them tonight.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

More
28 Jul 2011 21:19 #7037 by drstrange26
Just to set the record straight. Riched32.dll is not called by ARDB.
When you edited the ardb.ini is when you started having problems.
This falls fully on your text editor and not on ARDB. I take responsibility when the problems are with ARDB. The software is far from perfect. I just dont want people to think that the fix I put out does not work or is in some way corrupt.

More
28 Jul 2011 21:29 #7040 by brandonsantacruz
I'm in no way suggesting that this is an ARDB problem. I'm not super tech savvy and am just trying to work around this error with the help of the VTES crowd which I guessed correctly to be somewhat more technically competent than myself. It may be some virus for all I know. Please don't take it personally.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

More
28 Jul 2011 21:34 #7041 by drstrange26
Not personal I just dont want the people who use the program to think that ARDB corrupts there .dll files on there Windows XP system. When I read the title I thought something had happened with ARDB. Sorry if it sounded so short.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds