file Played some VTES with Paradox

24 Jan 2016 09:23 #75205 by jamesatzephyr

Yes, I understand OBS. So preferably someone else (themself or maybe assisted by VEKN) would have to take that icon/cardback-discussion with WotC before getting into VTES-printing. Anyone know anyone who are interested?

Well, OBS had long discussions with WotC, and it turned out that WotC aren't interested .
Managing the project would involve a review and approval process for artwork and content before the Wizards imprint could be added to a product. Unfortunately there was nobody at Wizards who had ever worked on Jyhad/V:TES, which, added to the lack of interest by anyone internally at Wizards to manage the project, led Wizards to inform Onbookshelf that they were definitely not interested in pursuing a V:TES project.

Ben Peal sent a message to personal contacts in Wizards' Research and Development department inquiring about the possibility of anyone they knew of in the company who would be interested in managing the project. But no response was received.

So it appears at this stage that anyone who wants WotC's consent for a revamp/republish/continuation is probably out of luck - unless you can find someone reasonably senior at Hasbro/WotC who'd be willing to take the project on and is likely to stick around for, say, the next three to five years.

Of course, if someone went ahead with a reprint without WotC's consent, it is entirely possible that WotC/Hasbro wouldn't sue anyone. It is entirely possible that if they did sue anyone, the case wouldn't stand up in court. It is entirely possible that if the case did stand up in court, it would be trivial to settle. But if Hasbro did decide to sue your pants off, you would probably rack up very large legal bills in the process.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2016 15:07 #75211 by ReverendRevolver
Does anyone remember when ffg announced a vampire game and Garfeild though they were rebooting vtes?
If we had paradox on board, and Garfield even marginally interested in saying a few nice things about us getting printed, we could in theory gain more ground. Kickstarter may still be needed, but its a solid attempt.

More
24 Jan 2016 16:12 #75212 by BenPeal
Fantasy Flight Games, from what information was out there, appeared to be not interested in bringing back V:TES, but rather creating a new CCG using the WoD IP. it is unknown outside of FFG why they backed out. With the acquisition of WWP by Paradox, I wouldn't be at all surprised if FFG has approached Paradox already.

More
24 Jan 2016 16:13 #75213 by Boris The Blade
How long can we afford to hope that Wizards get on board somehow? Maybe it is time to think a bout a reboot that would not involve Wizards instead.

More
24 Jan 2016 16:35 #75214 by BenPeal
Trust me, I've been thinking about it for months now. The thing is, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure most people here are completely opposed to the idea of a reboot of the game, particularly one that is incompatible with V:TES.

To be completely honest with you all, my personal preference is to relaunch V:TES as follows:
- overhauled rules so that things finally make proper mechanical sense
- a smaller card base that we can re-expand into over time
- in line with Paradox's One World of Darkness vision and direction
- new icons, card backs, and whatever else is needed to cut out Wizards entirely
- remains compatible with existing V:TES

It's that last bit that's tricky with respect to whether it triggers a lawsuit from Wizards, and that is a probable deal-breaker for potential publishers. If we can't find a publisher for that concept, then we really need to look at making a new, non-V:TES-compatible game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Ashur

More
24 Jan 2016 19:31 #75215 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Played some VTES with Paradox

So it appears at this stage that anyone who wants WotC's consent for a revamp/republish/continuation is probably out of luck - unless you can find someone reasonably senior at Hasbro/WotC who'd be willing to take the project on and is likely to stick around for, say, the next three to five years.

I don´t really get this thing, how do you mean? I´m sure nobody thinks WotC should be an active part in this. We just want them to promise not to sue anyone.

Contacting Richard Garfield is an excellent idea, whatever route is chosen. I´m sure he likes his game to live on, and he might be able to place a word somewhere where it´s needed.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds