lightbulb CardGameGeek - Online Deckbuilding and Collection management website

23 May 2018 23:56 #87407 by BenPeal

I'm like 95% sure from previous cases that the "can't have ads/donations" thing is a no-go legally in a number of countries. But again, I am already discussing this with who can say the final words.

This isn't an issue of national laws. This is White Wolf deciding the rules for how and when fans can use their intellectual property.

I don't see your point to keep pushing here and now... Have I done something to bother you? You just want to push against ? or? :)

I have never met you (to my knowledge) and I have absolutely nothing against you personally. I understand your goal, but the way you are doing it is exactly how White Wolf said they do not want you to do it. I'm saying this not to attack you but for the benefit of you and anyone else who happens to read this thread and who runs their own fan site for V:TES.

I have poured a lot of time, blood, soul and money out of my pocket to get this far, I would expect at least people enjoying it rather than... that...

I understand that you just want to have a site for the fans and that you're really just trying to cover the costs of maintaining and working on the site. Please understand that White Wolf has also poured a lot of time, blood, soul, and money into getting as far as they have. And also please understand that it is their intellectual property. It is reasonable to expect them to not want other people making money off of their property without permission.

If they decide that you can go ahead with hosting V:TES cards on your site and taking donations for it, then great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2018 08:42 - 24 May 2018 08:48 #87420 by Bloodartist

I'm like 95% sure from previous cases that the "can't have ads/donations" thing is a no-go legally in a number of countries. But again, I am already discussing this with who can say the final words.

This would surprise me, as I think its pretty obvious that if someone owns an IP, and another party uses the IP for whatever purpose, second party gaining material benefit from this IP has to be handled very carefully via a license or some other contract. This is just common sense, in addition to being the principle that laws about intellectual property are based on.

Most IP-owners go the way of "cease and desist" order due to them being legally forced to defend their trademarks or risk losing control over them. That WW is open to handing out licenses should be seen as a huge opportunity. You should be very careful doing something without their explicit agreement, at least if you want to continue benefiting from the IP in the future. Especially if it involves gaining monetary benefit. This is precisely the one line you shouldn't cross.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 24 May 2018 08:48 by Bloodartist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds