file PB Clarification - Shadow Court Satyr

28 Nov 2012 22:33 - 28 Nov 2012 23:04 #41966 by Juggernaut1981
After Extrala's post on VTES One about the Shadow Court Satyr, I went looking for a possible ruling by LSJ which would explain why Shadow Court Satyr cannot play a Taste of Vitae "as a vampire" but can play other cards "as a vampire".
The link I found with LSJs ruling was here .

> Card text:
> Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed. When Shadow Court Satyr
> comes into play, you may put a combat card from your hand on him. Once
> each combat, Satyr may use the ability of that card as if that card had
> been played from your hand. If the card has a cost, he pays its cost in
> life to use its ability. If the card requires a Discipline, he may only
> use the basic ability of that card as a vampire with a capacity of 1. If
> the ability would give him blood, give him life instead.
>
> Can I play Taste of Vitae on SCS?

Yes. It is a combat card.

> I shoot with Magnum on a vampire. Do I get 2 blood since Taste was
> played on him?

No. He doesn't get the ability to use it "as a vampire", and it offers
no utility to a non-vampire.

Current text of Shadow Court Satyr (as found from ARDB)
Shadow Court Satyr (Changeling)
Type: Ally
Requires: Gangrel antitribu
Cost: 3 pool
Changeling with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed.
When the Satyr enters play, you may put a combat card from your hand on him. Once each combat, the Satyr may use the ability of that card as if played from your hand. If the card requires a vampire (e.g., costs blood or requires a Discipline), he may use it as a vampire with the basic level of the Discipline (if any).

Taste of Vitae
Type: Combat
Only usable at the end of a round of combat. Not usable by a vampire being burned or going to torpor.
This vampire gains an amount of blood equal to the amount lost by the opposing vampire to damage during this round. A vampire may play only one Taste of Vitae each round.

So, why is it that the Shadow Court Satyr can "use the ability of that card... as a vampire with the basic level of the Discipline (if any)" but cannot play a Taste of Vitae "as a vampire". Taste of Vitae is a combat card which requires a vampire ("This vampire...") and does not require a discipline ("the basic level of the discipline (if any)"). The usual rules for allies is that effects that would give them blood, give them life instead, and so the Satyr should be able to gain additional life from a Taste of Vitae. (Based on the card texts presented and the rules).

Can PB please explain why the Shadow Court Satyr should be prohibited from gaining the effects of a Taste of Vitae?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 28 Nov 2012 23:04 by Juggernaut1981.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2012 23:21 - 28 Nov 2012 23:25 #41970 by Pascal Bertrand
I would recommend using this ruling: [LSJ 20080717] which was made *after* Shadow Court Satyr's revamp.

Text pre-3rd Ed: "If the card requires a Discipline, he may only use the basic ability of that card"
Text post-3rd Ed: "If the card requires a vampire (e.g., costs blood or requires a Discipline), he may use it as a vampire with the basic level of the Discipline (if any)."

Long story short: Shadow Court Satyr can play Taste of Vitae.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2012 23:25 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
28 Nov 2012 23:24 #41971 by Juggernaut1981
Thank you. We may need to have Extrala change his VTES One post.

More
28 Nov 2012 23:29 #41973 by Adonai

After Extrala's post on VTES One about the Shadow Court Satyr, I went looking for a possible ruling by LSJ which would explain why Shadow Court Satyr cannot play a Taste of Vitae "as a vampire" but can play other cards "as a vampire".

Putting any combat card on a Shadow Court Satyr that is not an Earth Meld is a violation of play to win and thus prohibited by the tournament rules.

:evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ReverendRevolver, rezwits

More
28 Nov 2012 23:31 #41974 by Juggernaut1981
I dunno... I like the idea of a Shadow Court Satyr with a Sports Bike, Sniper Rifle, Flak Jacket and a Taste of Vitae... put the Unmasking into play and that's one irritating little changeling.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CryWolf

More
28 Nov 2012 23:38 #41977 by Adonai

I dunno... I like the idea of a Shadow Court Satyr with a Sports Bike, Sniper Rifle, Flak Jacket and a Taste of Vitae... put the Unmasking into play and that's one irritating little changeling.

Stanislava plays Far Mastery on your turn with Enkil Cog , so no Direct Intervention / Dark Influences . (Still a valid concern with SCS/EM, but not so much pool investment lost.)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds