file Whitepaper on TCG's such as VtES

17 Dec 2014 13:42 #68225 by Killjoy71
I came across this whitepaper by accident and was surprised to read that VTEs/Jyhad was not noted for it's impact on the industry. It could very well be i am being naive but VtES has a lot of followers.

Perhaps you have read the article before (dated July 2009):

www.superdataresearch.com/content/uploads/2009/04/TCG-draft.pdf

VTES is not for the faint of heart...especially when you don't have a enough blood.

Prince Of Geneva

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2014 14:57 #68227 by ICL
The impact that the article cares about is in money and chatter. V:TES was hardly going to have a lot of chatter between KoT and Ebony Kingdoms. It's sales impact shows up in one of the charts.

I had looked at this whitepaper before. What stands out a bit more to me, but only a bit, is that L5R doesn't show up more prominently in the chatter chart, though it could be timing.

The reality is that the dropoff in sales within the top 10 has always been massive, nevermind those outside the top 10. And, as much as Magic killed niche CCGs in the hobby market, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! used to annihilate Magic in sales because mainstream markets are so much larger than hobby markets.

As for most influential CCGs, even then, V:TES has a place but not one that feels that prominent other than perhaps being the first CCG designed for multiplayer play.

More
17 Dec 2014 18:20 #68232 by Lönkka
Also in several issues of Inquest magazine where they had "the best CCGs ever" article, VTES was ranked at the very top.

IIRC in one article it was 2nd (after Netrunner) and in another it was numba 1.

My memory might be somewhat hazy on this though...

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
18 Dec 2014 22:03 #68252 by ReverendRevolver
This data is dated. Not that it would help vtes, factoring in supply and demand, we probably bump stupid high in the secondary market from 2010 anf stay good most of that year, then drop sime gradually each year after.

But, Ive worked for the biggest of big box companies for 7+ years, and Pokemon and Magic are the ones that sell (and get stolen) more than everything else. I never noticed a different trend for anything in specialty shops either; magic and pokemon sold, and other games fluctuated.

Naruto, yugioh, chaotic, and wow all had spikes but fall to hell. My little pony is currently becoming noticable.

But, nothing but magic and pokemon matter big scale, which is what this whitepage tries looking at.

Yugioh sells worse than sportscards.

Its the same distributor for all big box in this part of the 'States, and what they care to send is limited to what they know will sell.

Vtes being omitted from history in this is odd, but the numbers are too "snapshot" for me. Even data from 2006-2009 would have shown more interesting stuff.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds