file Rötschreck

25 Apr 2013 05:44 #47651 by Pascal Bertrand
Replied by Pascal Bertrand on topic Re: Rötschreck

A quick sidenote on the "guy treating agg as normal":
At a tournament, i was running my gotsdam deck, and i used burst of sunlight with gotsdam while blocking and rotschrecked. My predator rotshcrecked me and my cross table suddened it before i could point out the second rotschreck couldnt be played since gotsdam is immune to frenzy cards.

I have two problems:

1) If you'd been allowed to play your Rotschreck (you had the impulse etc.), it should have been resolved. Combat would have ended. With combat ended, there are no strikes to threaten anyone, so the second one isn't playable. So either yours was a misplay (you didn't have the impulse and were accidentally hasty), or the second one was a misplay (not playable after combat).

[LSJ 20050322] (The formatting of the post is quite awkward due to some newsreader fun going on at the time between LSJ and Reyda's newsreaders. I don't think I'm mis-representing anything.)

Reyda: so it is in fact impossible to have two rotschreck played in the same combat?
LSJ: Correct.

It then discusses the situation with Psyche! or Telepathic Tracking (the source of agg damage is long gone). I guess for completeness, you could Rotschreck, Sudden, Rotschreck - which doesn't appear to have happened in your situation.

2) You can play Rotschreck on Gotsdam, but he's immune to it. Immune doesn't mean "cannot be targetted", it means "the effect will do nothing to me". This is from RTR 07-07-07:

Rötschreck can be played on a vampire who is immune to Frenzy cards (uselessly, since the target is immune to it).

It applies to other Frenzy cards too.

So the second Rotschreck is not a technical misplay - it can be played on Gotsdam. The player playing it may not have realised it would have no effect, of course.

Edit to add: Consider Ex Nihilo making you immune to non-agg damage. You can still be targeted by damage-dealing effects (e.g. the ever-popular Talbot's Chainsaw). Same deal here.

Correct on all points - except perhaps the "uselessly".

If you play Rötschreck on Gotsdam while he is in combat, the combat will end (as this particular effect of Rötschreck isn't affecting Gotsdam). [LSJ 20070904] .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds